[SOLVED] Laptop keeps sending me to automatic repair and nothing there makes it boot

kingshalom

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
My audio has been crackling and popping for months so I decided to edit my registry editor by editing the conversationidletime which I read to do somewhere but as I was shutting down an update was trying to install. At shutting it down and switching it back on, the laptop got stuck on loading hp screen and now it doesn't even do that but immediately takes me to automatic repair which none of the options I've tried is working and I will do anything but reset the pc to factory as I really need my files. What should I do?

Solution
Turning off PC while its running an update is a great way to break windows.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive if nothing else

Is there anything on PC you have to save?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Then you could try running a reset
boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose reset this PC
choose keep files/settings (Files = library...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Turning off PC while its running an update is a great way to break windows.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive if nothing else

Is there anything on PC you have to save?
boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Then you could try running a reset
boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose reset this PC
choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)

All else fails, do a clean install - follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution
If you have a backup, you could restore from that. That's what I always do, but if you don't have a backup or access to another computer, I don't know what else you can do but wait until you do. I always keep a copy of Linux Mint on a flash drive that I can boot from and retrieve anything when needed. It has a user interface close enough to the Windows one so that you don't need to know much, if anything, about Linux. Linux and backups sure come in very handy.

kingshalom

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
So if I make a recovery drive from another Windows 10, could it serve the same purpose as the installation media? I think a usb is my best bet as nothing else seems to be working. I also keep getting that srt/srttrail error and c:/ or system32 are not available kind of messages so I'll try the usb

Colif

Win 11 Master
All a recovery drive does is lets you get to the blue menus you are already using.

You need an installer, it is the only thing that will break the deadlock as if reset doesn't work, you need a clean image which is what USB holds.