[SOLVED] Laptop keyboard failure due to a motherboard fault?

Feb 15, 2019
A couple weeks ago a collection of keys on my laptop started randomly inputting. It was always the same set of keys, and there was no pattern to when the problem would start. I was fairly certain it was not a software issue because the problem existed on both Windows and Ubuntu (dual boot). I thought I had fixed the issue by installing a new keyboard, but two days later another collection of keys started randomly activating. Finally, the entire keyboard became completely unresponsive.

What would the next step be in troubleshooting this issue? Should I buy a second replacement keyboard ($20) and see if that resolves the issue? Or should I take it into a shop because it is a motherboard issue? The laptop is a Dell Latitude E7450 and is not under warranty.

Solution
It may be the shop unless you want to try your luck on 3rd keyboard. What is cost of replacement board? This cost + shop is likely quite expensive.
Feb 15, 2019
Any noticable damage to new keyboard? Was it new or used? Connector to board look fine? That's a specific issue related to board. Usually they work fine or not at all.
The replacement keyboard was new and looked fine to me. Connectors for the ribbon cables looked good as well. It worked perfectly for two days then started ghost typing again and finally stopped working completely. I'm racking my brain to see if I did anything differently and the only thing that comes to mind is that recently I've been propping up one of my lighter textbooks against the open laptop, on the keyboard. Could that have damaged it?

I dont think textbook would be related to issue. However, two bad keyboards seems very unlikely. I replaced one or 2 before in laptops and fixed the problem. No spills of any kind at some point? Could end up being the board, but replacements can get quite expensive.

Feb 15, 2019
A spill is unlikely for the first keyboard and very unlikely for the second. I agree, I think two bad keyboards is unlikely. I'm sort of reaching because a second replacement keyboard would only be another $20 (or possibly free, if I tell them it malfunctioned) while the alternative i.e. a board replcacement is a much bigger hassle.

Edit: So would the next step be taking it into a shop? Or Is there some more troubleshooting I can do on my own?

Feb 15, 2019
A replacement keyboard would be a little over $20, but sometimes Amazon vendors will send you a free replacement if there's a possibility that the first product was defective. Thanks for your help!