[SOLVED] Laptop Keyboard Help. Right Arrow Key randomly pressing

mdb1983

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Hi, i'm posting this here because i don't know if this is the right area to ask.

But i have a laptop keyboard problem and i took a screen capture video of it so you can see the issue.

The past week now i'm noticing that the right arrow key seems to be activating on its own randomly..for example when i watch youtube videos, it skips all the way to the end. if i watch a windows movie player video it does the same. if i click on the time and date window, it skips days really fast.

all of this stops if i just press any key on the keyboard....but it'll just come back and do it again randomly..sometimes in an hour..sometimes 6 hours later. it's just random and i always have to press any key to stop it.

most of the time it happens upon startup of the acer laptop but if not i have to wait until it happens

this also happens on safe mode so i'm positive it's the keyboard..i tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that didn't work. i found out you can't disable the internal keyboard so there's no point.

this is also my second keyboard in a year that i had to replace so i'm bummed i did something wrong again..i don't know what i did this time if i dropped food under it or spilled small drops of water by accident and not notice.

but has anyone seen something like this before?

View: https://youtu.be/qbX5MwIr_Fg

Solution
Assuming you're from the US, try redownloading the keyboard drivers.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Put in your laptop serial number.

If it does not resolve the issue, run the diagnostics in case or try restarting the laptop. An user mentioned he fixed his keyboard doing similar to your problem randomly clicking P by opening up the laptop and unplug the battery - literally and take it out. Then leave it out for a couple of days.

mdb1983

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
no i haven't tried that yet...i'm not really experienced with computers so i always ask a friend to help me out but i think i'll have to ask him to try cleaning it first before i go the replacement route...unfortunately it takes awhile to replace this keyboard since it's built into the laptop :/..

the key otherwise looks fine..i mean it's not sticky or anything. funny enough i thought if i repeatedly pressed on the key it'll activate the problem but it doesn't..it just happens out of nowhere..

mdb1983

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
No, but did you clean out the key? That is the first step you should take when those problems arise.
no i haven't tried that yet...i'm not really experienced with computers so i always ask a friend to help me out but i think i'll have to ask him to try cleaning it first before i go the replacement route...unfortunately it takes awhile to replace this keyboard since it's built into the laptop :/..

the key otherwise looks fine..i mean it's not sticky or anything. funny enough i thought if i repeatedly pressed on the key it'll activate the problem but it doesn't..it just happens out of nowhere..

stinkycreature1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019

If it does not resolve the issue, run the diagnostics in case or try restarting the laptop. An user mentioned he fixed his keyboard doing similar to your problem randomly clicking P by opening up the laptop and unplug the battery - literally and take it out. Then leave it out for a couple of days.

Solution

mdb1983

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

i'm actually in canada but i'll give this a try. thanks

mdb1983

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Sorry, I too am from Canada lol.
oh lol ok, i can find the drivers to see if anything needs to be updated although i went to device manager already and right clicked the keyboard to update anything but nothing needed updating..

it also said that the keyboard was working properly too oddly enough..

but my Acer is a V3-772G-9808

when i noticed the repeated right arrow clicking was happening on safe mode i knew something was wrong with the hardware.

i thought i was hacked but i read that if it still happens on safe mode then it's hardware :/. if this doesn't work i might have to ask a friend to change the keyboard again..

stinkycreature1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Before you ask your friend to try and change the keyboard again, try this one first - I doubt this would work but it's worth a shot and won't harm.

1. Go to control panel (windows start menu and write in control panel)

2. Go to your systems and security

3. Go to your power options

4. Change the plan to High Performance

mdb1983

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Before you ask your friend to try and change the keyboard again, try this one first - I doubt this would work but it's worth a shot and won't harm.

alright, i'll give that a go. but yeah i doubt it'll work too..i think i'll try an air compressor can too since he suggested that..never used one before but i hope it's easy to use

mdb1983

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

thanks for all your help though. i'll give an update to see how all of these suggestions work in the coming days