Laptop keyboard issue - HP 15 Pavilion

tworley4125

Prominent
Apr 20, 2020
A while back some of the keys on my HP 15 Pavilion quit working (specifically 123789 on the number pad and the 8, I, K, and < keys). Now at the time, I had just finished replacing the HDD in the computer, so my assumption was that I simply broke the part of the ribbon cable when I put the keyboard back on the computer. So today I finally got around to getting a new keyboard and I swapped them out. Well on the new keyboard the same keys are still not working. At this point the only thing I can think of is that the connector on the board is damaged. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for anything I might have missed?

Thanks.

tworley4125

Prominent
Apr 20, 2020
Does usb keyboard work?

Yes, a usb keyboard works without issue. All other keys on the integrated keyboards work as well. The issue is only effecting the keys I listed in the original post.

In addition to the replacing the keyboard, I've also deleted all of the keyboards from the device manager and let the computer re-install it (did that with both the old and new keyboards).

Did you clean install Windows on that new Hard drive Or cloned it? Did the issue start after replacing the hdd?

Try To boot into safe Mode (google how) Is your Keys working In safe Mode? Also try boot into bios To see if your Keys work there.

Did you change any settings from the bios when replacing Hard drive before that?

Also make a bootable usb Linux like tails. You can use dvd too if you dont have usb at hand. Boot into that and test if keyboard Keys are working Or not. If they work In Linux then its driver Or operating system / hdd related issue

tworley4125

Prominent
Apr 20, 2020
Windows install was clean and yes the problem started after installing the new HDD.
Already tried safe mode and bios; no luck in either.
No bios have been changed that I'm aware of.
I hadn't thought about trying the bootable Linux. I think I'm out of clean discs and usb sticks at the moment. Might I'll go pick one up and give that a try. I suppose if all else fails I can just re-install Windows or just keep using the usb keyboard that we've been using for it.

Still it makes me wonder why the issue is only effecting the specific keys and not the keyboard as a whole.

It is either:

1. Keyboard connector problem:
  • Dirt on the connector
  • pin or two broken from the connector, cant make contact to the motherboard

2. You didnt connect the keyboard connector right to the connector, there is a mechanism which keeps it in place (plastic clip)

3. Problem on the line from the Keyboard connector the the KBC (embedded controller chip)
- component or trace damaged on the line from the keyboard connector to the chip which stores EC firmware (big chip looks like this http://www.chipsetsupplier.com/htm/6960/6107-6960-7167-ITE IT8720F-JXS IC Chip.htm )

4. Corrupt ec bios, stored inside this chip or problem with the chip itself

Before disassemblying it again you might try to just update the bios, this might rewrite bad sector. Sometimes it rewrites part of the EC for update, worth a try.

Go here : https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...otebook-pc-series-touch/8961458/model/8788168
Download latest bios: F.44 Rev.A
Make sure your battery is atleast 50% , plugin power cable. Close ALL tabs and programs and disable your antivirus until next boot (to not interfere with the bios update)

You can try reinstalling keyboard drivers (this unlikely will help):
-Go to Device Manager and uninstall the keyboard driver, reboot the laptop once uninstalled and it should reinstall the driver automatically upon reboot

If that wont help, disassembly until you see the keyboard connector. Is the connector like in this video? (look around 3mins)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWiidYWJSeg

You can see you need to first "unclip" the plastic clip from the other side of the connector upwards before you remove the connector, and when you put connector back after that you need to "tighten" the plastic clip. There are different mechanisms too, google "keyboard connector laptop" and you can find how.

If you did this all right the first time then do below:

-I would remove the keyboard you have, then blow some compressed air into where the contact pins are underneath, and then use clean toothbrush (need to be new) or whatever new small brush, dip it into isoprophyl alcohol (must be over 80% pure) and softly clean underneat the plastic connector. Let the alcohol dry, shouldnt take long and then connect it again.

Last edited:

tworley4125

Prominent
Apr 20, 2020
It is either:

1. Keyboard connector problem:
  • Dirt on the connector
  • pin or two broken from the connector, cant make contact to the motherboard
2. You didnt connect the keyboard connector right to the connector, there is a mechanism which keeps it in place (plastic clip)

3. Problem on the line from the Keyboard connector the the KBC (embedded controller chip)
- component or trace damaged on the line from the keyboard connector to the chip which stores EC firmware (big chip looks like this http://www.chipsetsupplier.com/htm/6960/6107-6960-7167-ITE IT8720F-JXS IC Chip.htm )

4. Corrupt ec bios, stored inside this chip or problem with the chip itself

Given the fact that the keyboard worked fine before I swapped the HDD, I don't really think its the bios or the KBC and I know that the locking clip on the connector is good. I haven't tried cleaning the connector pins yet, but if that don't work, then I'm inclined to think that I may have broken a pin or two on the connector when I swapped that drive out. Oh well...

I appreciate the help. It's been good chatting with you.
Thanks.

Just wanted To give wider range of possibilities if someone Is reading this thread with similar issue. One Last thing To try would be removing current hdd and testin the keyboard In Linux. This dont make much sense but could still be the issue if cleaning the pins wont help.

Any change you drop liquid on the mainboard when changing the Hard drive? Or damaged components

TRENDING THREADS