[SOLVED] Laptop keyboard malfunctioning

Soupkitchen

Reputable
Aug 30, 2016
My Dell G7 15 7588 laptop's built-in keyboard is having an error. I woke up this morning and the keyboard is functioning as if filter keys or slow keys were engaged. I have to hold the key for about .5 seconds before it begins to type.
The filter keys setting is not on, I tried to install 2 other keyboard drivers that were on my pc and both responded the same way. When I use an external keyboard I do not have this problem. I ended up reinstalling windows (I choose the option to reinstall while not deleting my files.) This did not work.
I am beginning to think that It is a hardware issue and I will have to replace the keyboard. (only about $30 but seems like a hassle)

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Solution
Go to Keyboardtester and see if you have any keys depressed. Following that, if you find a culprit key that's depressed, power down the laptop and disconnect from the wall, remove the keyboard and remove the keycap under which the faulty switch may be residing and take a fine bristle brush to clean the switch top. Usually dust or debris(or hair follicle or lint) can cause the switch to be depressed.

You might also want to see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop and if your OS isn't on version 20H2, if you're on Windows 10).

If none of the above help, you will need a replacement keyboard for your laptop.

Lutfij

Titan
Go to Keyboardtester and see if you have any keys depressed. Following that, if you find a culprit key that's depressed, power down the laptop and disconnect from the wall, remove the keyboard and remove the keycap under which the faulty switch may be residing and take a fine bristle brush to clean the switch top. Usually dust or debris(or hair follicle or lint) can cause the switch to be depressed.

You might also want to see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop and if your OS isn't on version 20H2, if you're on Windows 10).

If none of the above help, you will need a replacement keyboard for your laptop.

Solution