Laptop keyboard misses keystrokes

EmmaO1991

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Hi guys - sorry if this isn't the right forum

I've been having a bit of a nightmare with the keyboard on the laptop supplied to me by work. There appears to be an issue with the model where keystrokes are frequently missed when typing at any kind of speed.

Or, typed with my laptop keyboard...

I've been haing a bit of a nightmare with the aptop suplied to me by work. There appears to b an issue wit the odl where keystrokes are frequently missed wen typing at any kind of speed.

It doesn't happen with every word but it does happen with pretty much every sentence. I'm an accurate typist and the problem isn't related to me typing so quickly that I'm making mistakes (I don't have the issue with any other computer I've ever used). I've tried all sorts to fix the problem and here is what I've learned:

1) Typing with a USB keyboard immediately resolves the issue. The problem is isolated to the laptop's own keyboard
2) Several of my colleagues have the same model. The issue is present on each machine I've used that is the same model as my own
3) The IT department say that it is an issue with the laptop and can't be fixed
4) There are no visible driver updates visible in device manager
5) Uninstalling the device and rebooting the PC did not resolve the issue
6) Performing a static discharge (removing the battery and power cable, holding down the power button for 10 seconds, then reinserting the power cable) did nothing
7) Someone back in 2012 had a similar issue and turned off hotkeys in the Intel graphics control panel to fix their problem. This didn't work for me
8) Checked manually on the manufacturer's website and there are no updated keyboard drivers for the machine
9) Checked reviews for the model none of which mention an issue with the keyboard (possible that all of the reviewers are slow typists but not likely)
10) The issue does not affect specific keys. Any key can be affected.
11) Typing slowly stops the issue from cropping up. The problem is not related to hitting the keys hard or softly.

I'm at a bit of a loss now and I'm not really sure on what my next step should be. It seems like the likelihood is that it's a software problem... something that work has put onto the PC (though it's pretty barebones to be honest and nothing jumps out to me as being an obvious culprit) or some unresolved driver issue...

If anyone has any suggestions though they'd be much appreciated.

thornnnn

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
I once had some problems turned out to be more than one mouse connected at the same time. with all duplicate usb devices disconnected do you have the same problem?

did you try in safe mode?

EmmaO1991

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

Sorry for the delayed response - Xmas got the better of me!

I have tried it without USB devices connected but not in Safe Mode yet... That said, the encryption software my company uses asks for domain username and password before booting the PC and I've experienced the same issues when typing into that program. Might be a misunderstanding on my part but I'd imagine that would be the same as booting in Safe Mode