Question Laptop Keyboard not working

Leon232002

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
Hello! I hope I chose the right topic.

So, for 2 months I've been having an issue with my laptop keyboard.

Sometimes if I turn it on, the keyboard won't work until 2 or 3 reboots in a row. Also, if I try to enter bios, I can ALWAYS enter it, but after that, while in the menu, it happens (as the normal boot) that my keyboard wouldn't work anymore. So eveytime I tried to enter bios it always worked. The symptoms are after I enter bios or in a normal boot (40% chance). I have to mention that my keyboard is illuminated. Even if it doesn't work, the light still can be switched on and off thought the combination of the following keys : FN + spacebar. My laptop model is Lenovo Legion y540-15irh

What I tried :
  • Updating BIOS
  • Reinstalling keyboard drivers by uninstalling the keyboard itself from device manager
  • Releasing the power flea (static electricity), but I did not remove the battery of the laptop. I let it to discharge itself and after that press the power button for 60 seconds.

Possible reasons for this problem (tell me if it would be):
  • 6 months ago I cleaned the laptop for dust (only gpu fans)
  • having a different keyboard connected but I don't think so because I have this problem only for 2 months and my laptop has 1 year of usage with a keyboard.

What particular laptop model is this, and how old ?

One thing you can try is to flash (howto) a usb drive with some Linux distro and try to see if it also here tend to disable. This will hopefully make it possible to tell whether it is a software or hardware issue.

Leon232002

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
What particular laptop model is this, and how old ?

One thing you can try is to flash (howto) a usb drive with some Linux distro and try to see if it also here tend to disable. This will hopefully make it possible to tell whether it is a software or hardware issue.
Laptop : Lenovo Legion y540-15irh
Motherboard : Lenovo 81SX
BIOS version : BHCN42WW
CPU : Intel I7-9750h
GPU : Nvidia Gtx 1660ti 6gb

The laptop is 1 year and 7 months old.

I don't think the OS would be the problem because : first, the keyboard shouldn't work while in the os, not also in bios. Secondly, I reinstalled Windows 10, using the official image from Microsoft. (sorry, I forgot to tell you)

TRENDING THREADS