Laptop keyboard presses produce incorrect and repeated keystrokes.

May 5, 2018
Hello,

I am in dire need of help. I do not know what to do anymore. My situation is as follows: Ever since the past few days, my laptop has been acting up. Windows Explorer would repeatedly open and close the address bar, making it almost impossible to navigate through it. Games I have been playing have been registering keystrokes I was not doing. Finally, I decided to figure out what is going on. I went on this website and noticed that even when I was not pressing anything, the s button was being registered repeatedly, and if I pressed the function key, it would stop. I decided to press one of the function keys and noticed that along with their regular function, they produced different keystrokes. F1 would show up as p, F2 would show up as p, F3 would show up as r, F4 did nothing, F5 registered as r, F7 as v, F8 as w, F9 as x, F10 as y, F11 as z, and F12 as {. Any function key that I did not include did not register as a keystroke. I really do not know what to do. I have run a full virus scan using Kaspersky, suspecting it was a keylogger gone wrong. I did not install any application that does macros or anything similar. I just use this laptop to game. I'm at a loss of options, and I am considering doing a complete reset, keeping only Windows 10 and removing all factory settings. But I would really appreciate if that were a last-ditch option as my internet is really slow and it would be a pain to reinstall everything. I also do not have any backups as they are at my family house, and I'm currently living in an apartment and won't be visiting till I finish my semester and some extra courses.

P.S. Pressing e once will repeatedly count as if I'm pressing s and not letting go of it until I press e again. Also pressing e feels laggy, and I have to press it multiple times for it to register on screen as a keystroke. I suspect this is because it is competing with the phantom s presses. These keystrokes don't actually show up in textboxes, but they are present as "background" keystrokes so to speak.

Thank you for taking your time to read through my question.

Edit 1: Using onscreen keyboard through ease of access, I found out that pressing the function keys resulted in the same results, which to me means something on my laptop is associating the function keys with actual keystrokes. I also did all of the following already:
- Check keyboard language settings.
- Open Control Panel and look for Region and Language.
- Check all tabs if they are all set to United States.

Solution
If possible please make a bootable (windows 10 or anything) pen drive or something, install it in the system and during boot select this drive to boot. This will eleminate any possible software related issues. Check it first.
I am 99% sure that your laptop keyboard is dying. You need to change it. However do this check first. Google it to know how it is possible. Not very difficult to do.

AniChatt

Distinguished
If possible please make a bootable (windows 10 or anything) pen drive or something, install it in the system and during boot select this drive to boot. This will eleminate any possible software related issues. Check it first.
I am 99% sure that your laptop keyboard is dying. You need to change it. However do this check first. Google it to know how it is possible. Not very difficult to do.

Solution
May 5, 2018

Thank you for the prompt and detailed response. I will be doing what you said as soon as I get the opportunity and will report back any results I get.