Laptop Keyboard Problem, few keys don't work (Acer Aspire V3-571G)

Avogadros Constant

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
Laptop Keyboard Problem
Acer Aspire V3-571G

Recently whilst playing a game (Dota 2), out of nowhere a whole bunch of my Laptop keys stopped working, when I realized after using an Ability key and it didn't work. I thought it was a game bug as there was a recent huge update (900 MB), but turned out after troubleshooting it myself with that classic PC Restart, Holding down the power button for 10/15/30/60 seconds after unplugging the power supply (I don't have a battery in the laptop in the first place as it expired quite some time ago), using System restore to the point before a Windows Update and days before the keys stopped working, none of it worked, the keys didn't work anywhere.

I'm using an On-Screen Keyboard to type most of this. I removed those keys and cleaned it from underneath (not with compressed air or anything, I removed some dirt and quite a few strands of my curly hair), yet they didn't work.

The Red Outlined+Highlighted keys in this pic are the ones that don't work.
x3JBG4w.jpg

I used an External Dell USB Keyboard to see if the keys work with that, i don't know if this rules out the possibility of it being a [strike]software/driver problem[/strike], but the keys DID work with an External Keyboard.

Is it a hardware problem or something? Noticing how they're spread out, seems like a circuit problem connecting these keys, as they all stopped working all at once.

Any ideas?
I need a clear cut conclusion before I end up buying another keyboard for my Laptop.

P.S. Side Question, will an Acer Aspire 'V3-571' keyboard work with my 'V3-571G' model?

Unborndeath

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
I posted the same question as well. Same keys but also z,x stopped working. I've scoured the net for solutions. They randomly start and stop on their own. W will put 0 instead or nothing it brings up another window. S types sdg or nothing or deletes first letter in a sentence. I tried hard reset, uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, Windows 10, restore, disabling sticky/filter/hotkeys...this has been going on for months. I'm going fucking insane. The only thing I haven't done is replace the keyboard and factory reset. Checked malware, nothing wrong. Nobody else seems to have this issue anywhere....God someone fucking help please!

l33lou

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017

Yeah, having some trouble with keys that begin to stop working, too. I did check them for dirt, maybe the keyboard is defective (or a wire/hardware problem) after all the years. External Keyboard is working. Weird thing is, if i start pressing them a lot & harder, they sometimes become functional again (what implies a hardware problem?) One Key stopped working at all now, others still work most of the time.

l33lou

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
Take a look, there are some people with the exact strange behaviour i am experiencing and others with keyboard problems with the same model or similar ones.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2201900
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130704012523AAFAD0I
https://www.quora.com/My-keyboard-spacebar-on-my-Acer-Aspire-V3-571G-laptop-stopped-working-including-a-few-other-letters-I-have-no-idea-what-happened-I-have-tried-to-research-it-but-to-no-avail-What-can-I-do

Seems there is noone with a solution yet.

Hi, I know this is an old thread, I have just fixed an Acer E1-571 with this issue (with ESC, F1 1, TAB, CAPS LOCK, and ~ keys).

The reason some keys have failed is they are read on a matrix of rows and columns, and 1 of the rows or columns is not being read is not being read which causes 1 group of keys to not be read.

I traced the problem on this laptop to a broken copper track/trace on the motherboard from the keyboard connector to the IC. I soldered a kynar to repair the broken trace and it is now fully working again (obviously on other laptops it could be the track/trace, connector, or the IC, most likely the track/trace).

Hope this helps

Oct 30, 2021
Hi, dear

I am having the same trouble with you. I opened my laptop, bring the keyboard out and tried to fix traces on my own. But i couldn't lay one over another. So, is there an easy way to lay it? My keys work if i try to touch lower level traces with upper level traces. But when i try to lay them and put into laptop, they don't work. So please help me if you can.