Question Laptop keyboard sometimes working generally not working

mahmut1313

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
Hi all, i have a gaming laptop. Some specific keys of the keyboard are not working sometimes i remove the keyboard from motherboard try to understand why but i couldnt understand i removed key caps of those non working keys and try to do hard press so i thoughr its because of the silicone on the key but its not key wires under the key caps looks not rusted so i will be glad if you help me can this be caused because of a rusty or i dont know dirty capacitor on the motherboard, connector of the keyboard or the keyboard itself but i dont think its the keyboard itself because why would it work sometimes and i think the keys are working when the laptop gets hot.

Alatrix

Great
Jul 14, 2020
Hi,
Have you tried to plug the keyboard into another pc to check if it's working? Do the ports on the laptop work with say like a USB drive? If you have a keyboard laying around, could you try if it works on the same laptop?

mahmut1313

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
Hi,
Have you tried to plug the keyboard into another pc to check if it's working? Do the ports on the laptop work with say like a USB drive? If you have a keyboard laying around, could you try if it works on the same laptop?
Usb keyboards works like charm but i cant test the laptop keyboard on another laptop its pin connected

AziraWinds

Reputable
Apr 28, 2020
I'm actually having the same issue on my Clevo.
My first keyboard had keys randomly not working, but it also had a backlight with the blue-LED set not working.
Ordered a replacement, and both alt-keys were not working. Pulled the cables out and put them back in, and it worked fine.
For a few days... then specific keys would work, or would not work. Reset the cables and it worked fine.
For a few hours... Now, they work most of the time.

'C' and 'G' randomly don't type. CTRL might work, but hotkeys might not. Arrow keys stop working but numeric arrows do.
Sometimes, it just takes a second press to make it work, sometimes it requires waiting anywhere from two to thirty seconds.

My issue is that it is 'Fixed' for a while after I reset the cable connection between laptop and motherboard, but then it would just randomly act up on a random set of keys, though it usually has a few of the same subset. However, sometimes they key stops working altogether, and other times it is just off-and-on.
(Last time, my issue was an 'N' key, this time it is both 'C' and 'G', but CTRL was an issue both times, but not always)