Laptop keyboard:: standard 101/102 key?

martin

Device Manager lists my laptop keyboard as a "standard 101/102 key or
Microsoft natural keyboard". Nevertheless, there are no numeric pad
keys and only 80-odd keys in total.

I've been through the update driver wizard, listing all hardware and I can't
see anything obviously more appropriate. What set me wondering was
seeing seeing hardware listings such as "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)". The
keyboard itself is made by
Chicony - I've looked at their website and found nothing obvious.

Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for reassurance that I have the correct
keyboard driver.

You mention seeing two different keyboards, a "101/102 key or Microsoft
natural keyboard" and a "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)". Are they *both*
listed in Device Manager?

My guess is that the "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)" is the built-in laptop
keyboard, and that the "101/102 key or Microsoft natural keyboard" was
installed at one time when an external keyboard was attached. My further
guess is that *if* the latter is the active device, not the 83-key
drivers, then you aren't getting full use of your built-in keyboard--the
Function and Numeric Pad are on top of the 83 keys instead of being
stand-alone, and you need certain hotkeys to be used by the drivers to
switch keyboard mapping so that Function and Numeric keys can be used.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Device Manager lists my laptop keyboard as a "standard 101/102 key or
> Microsoft natural keyboard". Nevertheless, there are no numeric
> pad
> keys and only 80-odd keys in total.
>
> I've been through the update driver wizard, listing all hardware and I
> can't
> see anything obviously more appropriate. What set me wondering was
> seeing seeing hardware listings such as "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)".
> The
> keyboard itself is made by
> Chicony - I've looked at their website and found nothing obvious.
>
> Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for reassurance that I have the correct
> keyboard driver.

My new Dell laptop came with the "standard 101/102 key or Microsoft natural
keyboard". I fresh installed WinXP SP2 and have the same keyboard. I'd say
you're OK.

"Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Device Manager lists my laptop keyboard as a "standard 101/102 key or
> Microsoft natural keyboard". Nevertheless, there are no numeric pad
> keys and only 80-odd keys in total.
>
> I've been through the update driver wizard, listing all hardware and I
> can't
> see anything obviously more appropriate. What set me wondering was
> seeing seeing hardware listings such as "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)".
> The
> keyboard itself is made by
> Chicony - I've looked at their website and found nothing obvious.
>
> Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for reassurance that I have the correct
> keyboard driver.

martin

No, only the 101/102 keyboard is listed in Device Manager.

I came across the PC/XT and one PC/AT keyboard under "list all hardware" in
the "update driver" wizard. All the other listings were clearly
manufacturers' names and I didn't recognise PC/XT or PC/AT but the fact that
in brackets is 83 key and 84 key made me start to wonder if I have the right
driver. By my count, I have 89 keys - a lot less than 101/102 but a
few more than 84!

> You mention seeing two different keyboards, a "101/102 key or Microsoft
> natural keyboard" and a "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)". Are they *both*
> listed in Device Manager?
>
> My guess is that the "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)" is the built-in laptop
> keyboard, and that the "101/102 key or Microsoft natural keyboard" was
> installed at one time when an external keyboard was attached. My further
> guess is that *if* the latter is the active device, not the 83-key
> drivers, then you aren't getting full use of your built-in keyboard--the
> Function and Numeric Pad are on top of the 83 keys instead of being
> stand-alone, and you need certain hotkeys to be used by the drivers to
> switch keyboard mapping so that Function and Numeric keys can be used.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Device Manager lists my laptop keyboard as a "standard 101/102 key or
> > Microsoft natural keyboard". Nevertheless, there are no numeric
> > pad
> > keys and only 80-odd keys in total.
> >
> > I've been through the update driver wizard, listing all hardware and I
> > can't
> > see anything obviously more appropriate. What set me wondering was
> > seeing seeing hardware listings such as "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)".
> > The
> > keyboard itself is made by
> > Chicony - I've looked at their website and found nothing obvious.
> >
> > Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for reassurance that I have the correct
> > keyboard driver.

Well, you can download Everest and run it, www.lavalys.com/
or research the make/model/specs at the manufacturer's site.

I wouldn't install any other driver than what's in there, it being the
generic set of drivers that gives basic support, unless you *know* what
other specific set of drivers is for that keyboard. After all, what you
have works, just seems to me that it might not have all the
functionality that you want.

--

> No, only the 101/102 keyboard is listed in Device Manager.
>
> I came across the PC/XT and one PC/AT keyboard under "list all
> hardware" in
> the "update driver" wizard. All the other listings were clearly
> manufacturers' names and I didn't recognise PC/XT or PC/AT but the
> fact that
> in brackets is 83 key and 84 key made me start to wonder if I have the
> right
> driver. By my count, I have 89 keys - a lot less than 101/102
> but a
> few more than 84!

>> You mention seeing two different keyboards, a "101/102 key or
>> Microsoft
>> natural keyboard" and a "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)". Are they *both*
>> listed in Device Manager?
>>
>> My guess is that the "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)" is the built-in laptop
>> keyboard, and that the "101/102 key or Microsoft natural keyboard"
>> was
>> installed at one time when an external keyboard was attached. My
>> further
>> guess is that *if* the latter is the active device, not the 83-key
>> drivers, then you aren't getting full use of your built-in
>> keyboard--the
>> Function and Numeric Pad are on top of the 83 keys instead of being
>> stand-alone, and you need certain hotkeys to be used by the drivers
>> switch keyboard mapping so that Function and Numeric keys can be
>> used.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Device Manager lists my laptop keyboard as a "standard 101/102 key
>> > or
>> > Microsoft natural keyboard". Nevertheless, there are no
>> > numeric
>> > pad
>> > keys and only 80-odd keys in total.
>> >
>> > I've been through the update driver wizard, listing all hardware
>> > and I
>> > can't
>> > see anything obviously more appropriate. What set me wondering
>> > was
>> > seeing seeing hardware listings such as "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)".
>> > The
>> > keyboard itself is made by
>> > Chicony - I've looked at their website and found nothing obvious.
>> >
>> > Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for reassurance that I have the
>> > correct
>> > keyboard driver.

martin

Thanks - I checked a stone-age Toshiba 320 and that too has the same
keyboard driver. Pity: I was hoping that maybe I'd stumbled across the
reason for the occasional lock-out when typing. Thanks for checking and
posting.

"mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
> My new Dell laptop came with the "standard 101/102 key or Microsoft
natural
> keyboard". I fresh installed WinXP SP2 and have the same keyboard. I'd
say
> you're OK.
>
> "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Device Manager lists my laptop keyboard as a "standard 101/102 key or
> > Microsoft natural keyboard". Nevertheless, there are no numeric
pad
> > keys and only 80-odd keys in total.
> >
> > I've been through the update driver wizard, listing all hardware and I
> > can't
> > see anything obviously more appropriate. What set me wondering was
> > seeing seeing hardware listings such as "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)".
> > The
> > keyboard itself is made by
> > Chicony - I've looked at their website and found nothing obvious.
> >
> > Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for reassurance that I have the correct
> > keyboard driver.

martin

Thanks Gary. I've have Everest. I think I must have the right
driver.

Thanks.

Martin