Question Laptop kills router internet for no apparent reason.

hudtwalcker

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
So I got this old HP Pavillion Dv6 that I had stored and I took it out just for work, it has a fresh copy of Windows 10 installed and everything seems fine, I have it connected to my router with an ethernet cable together with another newer asus and cell phones etc..
So every other day the internet goes out, all of it wired and wireless, and It's th HP that causes it, cause as soon as I disconnect the ethernet cable it comes back. The cable is new, the router has always woked fine, what gives ?

hudtwalcker

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Could you have cloned the MAC address of the router? Or have a static IP that conflicts with the router? Or have malware that is overloading the router?

Any of those are possible.
When I set up the router I remember it asking me if I wanted to clone the MAC address, I marked no, and where should I check for the static IP ? I will also try to update the BIOS as suggested previously, thank you guys !

hudtwalcker

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
My questions would relate to the laptop. If you could have cloned the MAC onto the laptop. Or have a a conflicting IP address on the laptop.
I honestly doubt I inadvertently cloned the MAC on the laptop, like I stated it has a fresh copy of windows that is barely a week old, regarding the conflicting IP address, how could I tell if that would be the case ?

hudtwalcker

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Ok so I updated my BIOS succesfully and I've checked for cloned MAC or conflicting IP addres and I have no clue at what to look at, I compared all the info to my other laptop, should it be the same ? It's still happening.