Laptop lag problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

trypticon

Reputable
Jun 14, 2015
Hi

So I have a laptop, it's a HP Pavilion DV6, probably from around 2011. Not quite sure exactly.
Anyways, I bought it used a few months ago, hoping to run a few games on it and use it as a mediastation. It has been overheated several times before, and shut down, but nowadays that's not a problem anymore. It gets hot, but I'm using a cooling pad. Anyways, the games...

I'll have around 30 fps (If I'm lucky) in csgo, with some stutters here and there. Some times it works great, other times it sucks. I also can't play certain older games on it, since it will be laggy, fps will keep dropping and the sound will stutter ALOT. The Sims 4, Pawly Pets, My Horse Friends and other somewhat older games will constantly lag every time I move. Some of the games will work perfect as long as I don't move anything ingame, and the second I move or press a button, the fps will lock at 0. The laptop runs Skyrim smoothly, and it surprisingly enough runs Alien: Isolation without ANY problems whatsoever. Only thing is, it will drop a few fps if there's alot of smoke around. Other than that, Isolation is 100% playableOther than that, Isolation is 100% playable Slender: The Arrival also works perfectly. Other games that will have problems include Amnesia: The Dark Descent, The Sims 2, WoW (Will only work if the sound is deactivated) and a few others. I want to know if there could be a sound driver issue or graphics driver issue. I have tried to update the drivers but they won't update.

Specs:

HP Pavilion DV6 - NoteBook PC

CPU: AMD Turion II Dual Core 2.4 Ghz
Memory: 4GB Ram
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Sound: IDT High Definition Audio

I have tried to uninstall and update the sound drivers, but I can't. It rolls back to the 2010 version by itself on restart. Also I don't know wtf IDT even is. Graphics drivers also won't update. I also considered opening the lappy and cleaning it, but the DV6 are notoriously hard to open. I can't do it myself. ANY help on this will be appreciated, since these problems are highly frustrating.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Hello trypticon

It looks like there is some issue with the graphics driver of your laptop. If you are unable to update the driver, I would suggest you to uninstall it completely and then go to this link and click the Find now button under the Detect my product section.

After your laptop's model is detected, download the latest graphics driver and install them and see if the problem has been rectified.

If needed, do the same for your sound driver.

Also, please tell which operating system are you using so I can provide you more accurate troubleshooting methods.

Let me know if this helped. Good Luck!!
Hello trypticon

It looks like there is some issue with the graphics driver of your laptop. If you are unable to update the driver, I would suggest you to uninstall it completely and then go to this link and click the Find now button under the Detect my product section.

After your laptop's model is detected, download the latest graphics driver and install them and see if the problem has been rectified.

If needed, do the same for your sound driver.

Also, please tell which operating system are you using so I can provide you more accurate troubleshooting methods.

Let me know if this helped. Good Luck!!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS