Question Laptop lagging and seemingly using wrong GPU ?

Nov 7, 2020
Hi!

I have an ASUS gaming laptop that is one year old and suddenly lagging/stuttering after a year of good service. Intel Core i5 9300H CPU @2.40GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, with an Intel UHD Graphics 630 integrated GPU and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 dedicated GPU.

When the problem first started, I updated both GPU drivers using the Intel and NVIDIA driver utilities. When that didn’t solve the problem, I reverted to a system restore point from a few days earlier. That seemed to solve the problem and gave me several hours of normal performance, but then the lagging returned.

It was then that I noticed my Intel GPU was doing all the work and maxing out at 100% frequently during gaming. CPU was also steady at 100%. Memory consumption was in the 90s. And the NVIDIA GPU was typically between 0% and 2%, only briefly spiking to 100% when a game started up and shut down.

When I revert to the earlier restore point, normal performance always returns, but only for a few hours. During normal performance, the Intel GPU is still very active and the NVIDIA GPU is in the low single digits. The CPU is also very high, often at 100%, but this doesn’t seem to affect game performance at all. When the lagging starts, the demand on the Intel GPU gets very high.

I’ve tried the following:
Full system virus scan
Windows update
Manually deleting and reinstalling both GPU drivers
Setting the NVIDIA Control Panel 3D setting to use the NVIDIA card globally
Setting the NVIDIA Control Panel 3D setting to use the NVIDIA card for specific games
Disabling the Intel GPU (this resulted in MUCH worse performance and did not register much activity on the NVIDIA GPU in Task Manager)

Temperatures are steady in the high 30s C.

I’m tempted to reinstall Windows, but then I would lose this restore point, and if the fresh installation doesn’t solve the problem, I might lose some important information.

Any advice y’all may have would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!