Laptop laggy, disk space usage is 100% (Windows 10)

Amirul_7

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
Laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad

It takes up to 30 minutes to just to boot up the laptop to the login screen and 60 minutes just to get to the desktop.
Laptop keeps booting up to Setup Utility too.

When I do get to desktop, it's really laggy and when I manage to open up task manager, disk usage shows 100%

When I try to find the issue and solve it (which takes up to another additional 1 hour just to get to settings and stuff), it gives me a BSOD saying CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Before this incident, the booting timing were also getting longer and longer and I receive occasional BSOD at times. At one time, when my Windows 10 was updating and told me not to turn off my computer, I received a BSOD. This may be the cause of the issue here.

Right now, I need help in fixing this issue please. I really have important stuff stored in this computer. Is it still possible to extract data from a computer that is basically dead?

Solution
You could try a clean boot (How to do clean boot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/929135)

But 60 minutes isn't a windows problem, it sure sounds like the hdd. MIght want to test it using HD Tune Trial edition and / or Crystal Disk Mark

you can't just boot into safe mode in win 10, you either need the install disc to help, or do it from desktop (there are about 5 ways but I am not going to type them all here)

From installer
Download the installer from win 10 media creation tool and use that to create a win 10 installer on USB or DVD (perhaps do this on another PC) (you may want this just in case you want to reinstall win 10 on another drive or again on same one)
change boot order in Bios to either USB or DVD...

myitinos

Reputable
May 19, 2015
How old is it? Maybe it is already time to buy a new HDD, maybe try to boot into safe mode and see if it still laggy. If it's not maybe you just need a fresh windows installation.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could try a clean boot (How to do clean boot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/929135)

But 60 minutes isn't a windows problem, it sure sounds like the hdd. MIght want to test it using HD Tune Trial edition and / or Crystal Disk Mark

you can't just boot into safe mode in win 10, you either need the install disc to help, or do it from desktop (there are about 5 ways but I am not going to type them all here)

From installer
Download the installer from win 10 media creation tool and use that to create a win 10 installer on USB or DVD (perhaps do this on another PC) (you may want this just in case you want to reinstall win 10 on another drive or again on same one)
change boot order in Bios to either USB or DVD first, HDD second
boot from installer, on second screen after language choices, choose repair this pc, not install
this loads Advanced start up

from desktop:
settings/update & security/recovery/restart PC
this will (slowly I expect) load you into advanced start up

Advanced start up:
from here choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
there should be 3 different Safe modes, just choose one and see if PC is as laggy as it is normally

Solution

Rainy_jour

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
• Step 1 : boot from a temporary OS (e.g. Windows 7 live) <or> Install a new windows copy on another primary drive <or> Use Hiren's boot (a compact winXP) that give you an opportunity to save your data

• Step 2-a : If after opening a drive or folder or file, your PC stop working or it's still laggy it means your HDD has corrupted. . Try to make a backup of your important data to a flash Memory or external HDD.

• Step 2-b : If it was smooth it means your windows is the main problem. simply copy your important data to another partition and try to reinstall a fresh copy of windows 10.

further steps after your comment

DGS1

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Look up KB3083595. I searched in regedit for Standard SATA AHCI Controller, then changed key value from 1 to 0. just follow the article. This fixed my SSD and  ram high usage issues.