DDRII

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004
I have a PIII Laptop that is too expensive to repair: Motherboard dammaged; Power Supply and battery stolen; HDD has bad sectors. The screen is in a good condition and is working. Is there any way I can use the TFT on a desktop PC.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
No, most likely not. The interface is not VGA or SVGA so you'll need some kind of converter. I don't think it's possible (with reasonable amount of effort) to construct such an interface. Further I don't think anybody manufactures it.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you should be able to connect the needed pins to a DVI cable and hook up a power supply for the backlite, but you'll have to know all the technical details to do it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Crashman, are you sure its just DVI? I have a couple of old laptops, and the interface on those doesn't appear to be DVI. I bet there also is a lot of proprietary interfaces out there.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Uh, I think it's DVI though. You just have to figure out the signal wires.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
DVI is a relative new interface. I wouldn't expect an old laptop to have anything like that.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, I was thinking the DVI standard was BASED on those signal wires.

hollett

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Laptop screens have used a digital interface for years. the cables may not look like a standard DVI connector but all the cables should be there. It is also likly to have some extra leads for power signals.

I think you would have to buy a blank DVI conector and work out the cables. As for the backlight if you are lucky then inside the TFT besel will be an inverter board, this will be have two (probably?) cables going into it from the laptop measure the voltage and match.
In short I would not consider this unless you you have and can use a soldering iron, ociliscope and lots of time.

However if you do get this to work then post the results for us all to see. Oh, one more thing, Good luck!

Only the insane prosper.
Only those who prosper can judge what is sane.