Laptop lid problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephmcap

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017
Just replaced the terrible TN panel on the new Dell 7567. However, now when I close the lid, it no longer goes to sleep mode. I made sure that the proper power settings were on in windows, and made sure the bezel was all secure. Any advice on what to do next to solve this problem would be great.

Solution
Not sure if they are still made this way, but in the past most laptops have a magnetic reed switch located inside the keyboard deck between the touchpad and the front edge of the deck. There is a corresponding magnet in the upper edge of the display bezel. When the display lid is closed, the magnet trips the reed switch to shut off the display (and I would imagine also controlling the start of hibernation or sleep modes). If this is still the case in new laptops, perhaps you accidentally moved or lost the magnet in the display bezel.

The magnet and switch (if there is one) could also be located anywhere along the edge of the display bezel and keyboard deck.

Try taking a steel paperclip and move it around the bezel to see if it will...

1shado1

Distinguished
Not sure if they are still made this way, but in the past most laptops have a magnetic reed switch located inside the keyboard deck between the touchpad and the front edge of the deck. There is a corresponding magnet in the upper edge of the display bezel. When the display lid is closed, the magnet trips the reed switch to shut off the display (and I would imagine also controlling the start of hibernation or sleep modes). If this is still the case in new laptops, perhaps you accidentally moved or lost the magnet in the display bezel.

The magnet and switch (if there is one) could also be located anywhere along the edge of the display bezel and keyboard deck.

Try taking a steel paperclip and move it around the bezel to see if it will stick anywhere. Or take a very weak magnet and run it along the edge of the keyboard deck. The magnet should trigger the reed switch, thus turning off the display.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.