Laptop Liquid Metal Help

j56423657

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Hello,

I am looking into using liquid metal on my Aorus X5-cf1 SLI and i need your help on how to properly and safely proceed.

Specifically, i do not have a conformal coating and will be using clear nail polish and electrical tape.
The i7 5700HQ processor has two dies, should i use electrical tape and nail polish in between them so that the liquid metal doesn't sip in or is it not necessary?
Here is a picture of the processor:
Intel-Core-i7-5700HQ-FH8065802491903-SR2BP-Mobile.jpg_350x350.jpg

Also should the electrical tape touch the cpu die or just tightly surround it?
And finally will the nail polish offer adequate protection?

I am using thermal grizzly conductonaut.

I really appreciate you help.
Thank you.

Solution
Hi j56423657,

I already made one laptop with liquid metal and helped a lot.

First question : is your heatsink contact with the die made of copper or aluminium? you can't use liquid metal with Aluminium.

If it's made of copper, you can put nail polish every contact dot you have on the cpu then, after nail polish dryied, you can put electrical tape around the CPU (very close to it and don't bother with the "inter die" you have.

Why put electrical tape close to the die? it will sip the metal liquid that want to quit the die'heatsink contact and trap it where it can't to damage.

Rodolphe.

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Hi j56423657,

I already made one laptop with liquid metal and helped a lot.

First question : is your heatsink contact with the die made of copper or aluminium? you can't use liquid metal with Aluminium.

If it's made of copper, you can put nail polish every contact dot you have on the cpu then, after nail polish dryied, you can put electrical tape around the CPU (very close to it and don't bother with the "inter die" you have.

Why put electrical tape close to the die? it will sip the metal liquid that want to quit the die'heatsink contact and trap it where it can't to damage.

Rodolphe.

Solution