Question Laptop loosing Wifi connection for no reason

Sep 14, 2018
Hi there,

Here's the situation:
My laptop keeps losing internet access on wifi (It's still connected on the modem but it says "No internet access", but the modem is fine).
When the laptop loses the connection, there are a few freezes. And to temporarily fix it, usually, I have to manually disconnect the laptop from the wifi (bottom right corner and deactivate the wifi) and then reactivate it. Sometimes (rarely) windows' problem solver will do the job. But I find myself a lot using both at the same time: because the troubleshooter won't fix it (never-ending loop of "Reactivating wifi"), and manually it won't reactivate it properly (it actives the wifi but doesn't reconnect...) but somehow doing both windows's troubleshooter and manual deactivation works.
However, sometimes none of that works at all, I manage to reconnect, but instantly loose back the connection. So what I do is a Network Reset, then restart the laptop. And this usually helps a little, until it doesn't and slowly gets worse and worse until I have to do another Network Reset.
But I think it's the 2nd last one I did (Network Reset), didn't work at all, not only it wouldn't reinstall the network. It created an error that basically would make the laptop restart every 5 minutes. I had to use a command (something like "... netsh reset" don't quite remember) to fix that.

So do you have any idea of what I can do to fix that?

Thx,

newmarket2

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
I've had similar problems over time.
Try turning the wifi adapter off and then on again.
This is similar to disconnecting and reconnecting wifi but at a deeper level

Not a fix, though. If I recall the last time I had this problem, a modem reset cleared it up. You say "the modem is fine" but don't provide any specifics on how you came to that conclusion. Some people reset their modem regularly.

Sep 14, 2018
I've had similar problems over time.
Try turning the wifi adapter off and then on again.
This is similar to disconnecting and reconnecting wifi but at a deeper level

Not a fix, though. If I recall the last time I had this problem, a modem reset cleared it up. You say "the modem is fine" but don't provide any specifics on how you came to that conclusion. Some people reset their modem regularly.

I reached to the conclusion that the modem is fine because the desktop wired to the modem plus the phone connected to the wifi neither have connectivity issues.
And when you say to reset the modem, do you mean turning it off and on again? (If that's so then It didn't fix the issue, if not then I have no idea how to do it).
And about the wifi adapter, I'm not quite sure you mean by that, but when I turned off the wifi on the laptop, isn't turning off the wifi adapter? Idk

newmarket2

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
I reached to the conclusion that the modem is fine because the desktop wired to the modem plus the phone connected to the wifi neither have connectivity issues.
And when you say to reset the modem, do you mean turning it off and on again? (If that's so then It didn't fix the issue, if not then I have no idea how to do it).
And about the wifi adapter, I'm not quite sure you mean by that, but when I turned off the wifi on the laptop, isn't turning off the wifi adapter? Idk
My experience was that my router (it's actually in a Comcast gateway which includes router and modem functionality) was having trouble only with one device.
Reset can be different from a power cycle (off, then on again). Usually, there's a tiny hole on the back into which you insert a pencil/pen/paperclip. Comcast said that a power cycle fixes 50% of problems and a reset fixes 70%
As for the adapter, are you running Windows? If so, what version? If a Mac, you'll have to look elsewhere.
I can give you the steps for Windows 10....

newmarket2

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
I see that your laptop is running Windows. Here's what to do if your OS is W10:
click Start
Settings (gear icon)
Network ....
Wifi (on left)
Change Adapter Options (on the right in blue)
You should see all network adapters available. One should be "wifi"
right click
disable
right click
enable

Sep 14, 2018
I see that your laptop is running Windows. Here's what to do if your OS is W10:
click Start
Settings (gear icon)
Network ....
Wifi (on left)
Change Adapter Options (on the right in blue)
You should see all network adapters available. One should be "wifi"
right click
disable
right click
enable
Back for an update: tried your ideas but without success... I have no idea what to do.