Question Laptop makes clicking noise upon bootup

Jun 5, 2022
I booted up my laptop and noticed a brief clicking sound near the hard drive (SSD).

This happened after I attempted to use a USB hard drive adapter to see if my laptop could read data off a hard drive with physical damage. It didn't work. Instead, it attempted to load the failed hard drive for a few minutes. Then my screen went black with just the cursor present. So I removed the USB right away and the screen went right back to normal.

I don't know if this is causing the clicking noise or where it's coming from. I'm not sure if it's a fan or the inductor coil causing coil whine. I can rule out hard drive because I'm using an SSD rather than a HDD.

Is it coil whine or a fan issue? I'm not even sure if my "HDD experiment" caused this either.

Here's a video with the clicking sound. It's a bit quiet but it occurs at the three second mark:

View: https://vimeo.com/717098869

Does anyone know what the clicking sound could possibly be? It only occurs after I power the laptop on or wakingit up from sleep mode, but never when I restart it. And is it possible to fix?

Jun 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It could be the power relay n the motherboard though they shouldn't be that noisy. Make + model of your laptop? It looks like a Lenovo.

Yes, my laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 330- 15ARR. How can I determine if it's the power relay on the motherboard?

Jun 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It could be the power relay on the motherboard though they shouldn't be that noisy. It could be a blown fuse/SMD. Make + model of your laptop? It looks like a Lenovo.

Also, how can I determine if it's a blown fuse or SMD? Is it easy to fix? I don't think it's the fuse because my laptop starts normally and quickly.

Model/ laptop make: Lenovo Ideapad 330- 15ARR