[SOLVED] Laptop Making Strange Clicking Sound

Zdos123

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
Hello,
I Recently aquired a hp 15-p199na from a freind with a few issues, keyboard sunk in one place, slow HDD & the laptop saying the fan was broken, however on that last point i can't tell if this is a dying fan or a fan getting caught on the sunken keyboard.
Video Link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R45wde8223lgz7D4f6nluSR6ygH_oTOh/view?usp=sharing
It's not the HDD as i already swapped in a 128gb kingston a400, just want some second opinions on this.
Thanks,
Zdos123

Edit:
During average use temps seem reasonable at 50 degree celcius which as far as i recall is okay for a laptop

Solution
Hi there,

Sounds like the CPU fan honestly. Flip the laptop over and look directly under where the dent in the keyboard is. If you see an intake holes or part of the heatsink, then it sounds pretty clearly to me that it would be the fan. Hope this helps :)

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hi there,

Sounds like the CPU fan honestly. Flip the laptop over and look directly under where the dent in the keyboard is. If you see an intake holes or part of the heatsink, then it sounds pretty clearly to me that it would be the fan. Hope this helps :)

Solution

Zdos123

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
Hi there,

It was the fan ordered a new one changed it out and reapplied the thermal paste, that stopped the overheating which started happening shortly after this post and the clicking sound was actually due to the fact that my friend hit the keyboard out of rage like 2 years back, at least he claims which rammed the metal base of the keyboard into the fan causing it to die slowly over time. anyway thanks for the help.

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
It was the fan ordered a new one changed it out and reapplied the thermal paste, that stopped the overheating which started happening shortly after this post and the clicking sound was actually due to the fact that my friend hit the keyboard out of rage like 2 years back, at least he claims which rammed the metal base of the keyboard into the fan causing it to die slowly over time. anyway thanks for the help.

Great to hear that it's fixed now! Happy to hear that we figured out the problem.