[SOLVED] Laptop manufacturer vs Motherboard chipset Maximum RAM limit (Asus S56CM)

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Good day all,

I have been researching this for quiet sometime now, but the only reference I have to this somewhat subject (more related to my specific laptop s56cm) is from this question raised back in 2014, so I figured I would start a brand new one with a more general question. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nux-dmidecode-output-q.1779220/#post-12479386

Laptop manufacturer vs Motherboard chipset specs, they DO NOT match. My laptop specifically, Asus S56CM, a 9 year old laptop ish, specifies that the maximum RAM is 8GB. BUT the motherboard specs state it can handle 16GB. Am I wrong to assume that the motherboard spec is the priority and I should be able to upgrade my laptop to 16GB? (2x8GB).

Not sure why the specs would be different or why would Asus would lower the Max. My laptop still works pretty good, I will be upgrading its HDD to SDD so it'll work better with win 10,but also wanted to get a boost on the RAM side.

I'm sure this question is not just related to my laptop and could be useful to others who will search this on the future.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
I have decided to trial this out and I installed 16Gb RAM (2x8GB) today. Windows recognized as dual channel and all 16GB (15.9GB to be exact) is in fact useable.

Still don't understand why Asus would downgrade the max allowable RAM. If anybody knows that will be a good discussion to have, as my question is more regarding the allowable max and not whether it will work or not.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I have decided to trial this out and I installed 16Gb RAM (2x8GB) today. Windows recognized as dual channel and all 16GB (15.9GB to be exact) is in fact useable.

Still don't understand why Asus would downgrade the max allowable RAM. If anybody knows that will be a good discussion to have, as my question is more regarding the allowable max and not whether it will work or not.

Solution