Question Laptop Memory Upgrade Question

ITJohn

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I am trying to upgrade the memory of a not perfectly new laptop I have, a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6089; it currently has 4 GB of DDR3 memory, according to the manufacturer's specifications PDF it should be able to support up to 8 GB, thus I meant to replace my current 2x2 GB memory modules with 2x4 GB.

As the laptop seems to support at most 1066 MHz of frequency for the memory, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of 1066 MHz memory available, at least where I looked, I meant to buy any two identical 4 GB DDR 3 memory modules, my understanding being that the memory simply "clocks back" to the lower values, but should still work; however, I was told at the store that the more recently made modules do not clock back any more (or something to this effect - are made without adapters, or so), and the system would not recognise them at all - could this possibly be true? I tried to look on the net, but do not find any mention of such a detail anywhere.

Could anyone possibly provide information on this? Any advice on upgrading?

Thanks.

ITJohn

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply - these all seem to be low voltage memories, however, and, as far as I am aware, my laptop is not - should this not be a problem?

Edit: In case it would be of help, I could post the RAM details as obtained using, say, Speccy?