Question Laptop Missing Ram

zeneXx

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
So I recently bought an Asus Vivobook k570zd and I noticed that in the the system settings that show my device specifications, it says I have 8.00 GB ram (6.95 GB usable). I did a little search and it turns out that the missing 1 GB is likely reserved for my integrated graphics card. Since this laptop comes with a dedicated GPU I don't see much point in using the integrated one and if I'm not mistaken, when I play games with the dedicated GPU I won't be able to use that missing 1 GB of ram. Some suggestions for other people who had similar issues was to disable the integrated GPU from the BIOS however in my Asus BIOS I don't see any settings related to any GPU in both the EZ mode and advanced mode. Disabling it via device manager and display adapters don't seem to free it up either. Are there any other ways I can free up that missing 1 GB or is it possible to download a different BIOS interface that has options for disabling the integrated graphics card?

zeneXx

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
From what I have read, ASUS doesn't have a way of disabling your integrated graphics https://blog.usro.net/how-to-disable-the-onboard-graphics-in-bios/ In reality it's unlikely you would even notice the difference. If you want a memory boost, double the current RAM by buying a 16 GB memory kit; your laptop has a max of 16 GB of RAM.
Ahh okay I had no idea I could double the RAM. So I've watched a couple youtube videos on opening and upgrading my laptop and it also seems like I can also add 1 TB 2.5" SSD, and up to 512GB M.2. I've had some experience building desktops but not laptops. I assume I will have to completely buy another 16 GB of ram so they are the same model? Any set of 2 x 8 GB DDR4 ram and any 2.5" SSD/M.2 SSD should work? Since there don't seem to be any Asus Service Centres near me, would other laptop servicing shops be willing to do the upgrades for me since tearing down and upgrading this laptop seems pretty complicated.

I was in the same position as you years ago. While tearing a laptop down may seem complicated, it's more about knowing the steps to taking it apart and keeping all the screws together and remembering where they go. Fortunately there is You tube to help. Once you've torn down a few laptops, you'll have more confidence. As far as memory, the answer is no. You need to buy memory that matches your CPU and chipset type and speed; you also have to buy memory in a matched set or kit, or when running in dual channel a PC can become unstable. The Asus site shows your memory spec as "4 GB DDR4 2400MHz SDRAM, 2 x SO-DIMM socket , up to 16 GB SODRAM, Dual-channel". You can do a search for 16bg (2x8) DDR4 2400MHz SDRAM SODIMM 260 pin. There is often a Qualified Vendors List (QVL) for such things as memory for a particular model from the manufacturer, but I did see one from Asus. As far as upgrading your drives, while supporting m.2 SATA3 drives, it does not appear your laptop supports m.2 NVME, so don't buy the wrong drive.