Question Laptop mostly for business, light gaming

shredder777

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
1. What is your budget?
<2,000 USD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13-15"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
At least QHD with 16:10 ratio. Would prefer OLED as well

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
No

5. How much battery life do you need?
Average, I'm always close to an outlet

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
League of legends, Clone hero, Underrail, Hades, etc. 60fps is top priority, medium settings are fine. Dedicated GPU would be great.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Coding and Epic, I usually have a lot going on there plus a bunch of browser tabs and pdf's open.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Minimal, I have an external

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
N/A

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least 4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Lenovo and ASUS are the frontrunners but I'm open to anything. I've heard about QC issues with Dell recently so I would rather avoid them.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed

Other important factors are build quality, low weight, and especially how good the keyboard feels

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Only laptop that comes close is the ASUS ROG Zephyrus 14" or 15"

Not a lot of QHD screens on the market, OLED even less so. You might be better off looking at high refresh rate 1080p.

shredder777

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Only laptop that comes close is the ASUS ROG Zephyrus 14" or 15"

Not a lot of QHD screens on the market, OLED even less so. You might be better off looking at high refresh rate 1080p.

Is OLED worth it in your opinion? What do you think about the Thinkbook 14p?

I do love the thinkpads but most say they ship in 2+ months. What do you think of the MSI creator 15?
My experience is with thinkpads, and not any other brands.
I have a older thinkpad extreme for a while and still love it.
A problem is that one can not actually touch the keyboard and see the monitor. Probably of most importance to me is the brightness and quality of the display.
Probably best to read a review of the actual unit you are considering.
A strong graphics card can be a detriment because they can cause heat and throttling.
If your games can play ok on integrated graphics, that can save a bunch.

Lenovo will have units available for immediate shipping. They may not have more specialized configurations available.
On pricing, I find that the thinkpads charge a hefty premium for larger drives and for extra ram.
The units are usually quite upgradeable, and one strategy is to buy the unit with a small cheap HDD and plan on upgrading to a ssd yourself.
Today, this may not apply since laptops now come with m.2 drives.
I think the thinkpads of today do not have soldered ram so an upgrade there may be ok.
Check a review for any specific unit.

Gtkill

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2013
If OLED and a high resolution are top priority, I think the Asus Zenbook Pro OLED is a good match :

I found that the price varies according to the configuration i7 1165G7 or Ryzen 7 5800H, Storage and whether or not it comes with Screenpad.