Laptop motherboard dead?

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
Hi there,
I got some malware on my laptop. Ran Malwarebytes, and it didn't find anything, even though I saw it running in task manager. Few minutes later, laptop randomly shut off.

Doesn't boot, and don't even get a charge light when plugging it in.

Pretty sure the board is dead, any other ideas?

Have you tested the power adapter?

Take a multimeter and set to DC Volts, if you have a traditional barrel (round) plug then put a piece of solid wire (all metal paperclip will work as well) into center of plug, touch red lead to the wire and black wire to outside of barrel plug (carefull not to touch metal with your fingers).
If test is not the same voltage as the output voltage listed on bottom of power supply then power supply is bad (which may or may not have damaged other things).

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016

That's a good idea! I have tested the adapter, RAM, battery and drive. I can do that, but it won't even start with a fully charged battery.

How do you know battery is fully charged?
Is that with the power adapter plugged in or not? Good battery plus bad but not dead power supply would cause system to not want to power on if power adapter is still plugged in to laptop.

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016

Friend has exact same laptop, so swapped parts with him. Power adapter was unplugged