Question Laptop msi gf63 wont boot after adding thermal paste

Bart2525

Prominent
Oct 4, 2021
So I opened up my laptopmsi gf63 because the temperatures where above normal while gaming (93°C).
I added thermal paste to the cpu and gpu, I connected the fan cable and monitor cable again. But when I turned it on it was cycleing the bower button and with black screen.
So I thought maybe the lcd cable isnt properly connected so I reconnected the lcd cable but I FORGOT TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.
I smelled burning components and yeah i didnt know how to unplug the battery so yeah...

I checked for all components if there was some burned but there wasnt. Next I checked if there was a screw that was beneath the motherboard but I couldnt here one.

Do I need to lossen the motherboard to flip the lmotherboard and check the other side or what do you suggest I do? Also is it because I plugged the lcd (flat)cable while power was on? So what is broken? Here are some pictures from the laptop: https://postimg.cc/gallery/1RF3Vfg

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to grab a magnifying glass and inspect the general area from where the smoke came from. You sure you got the connections hooked up the right way? A reversed connection or perhaps the wrong connection can cause a short.

Bart2525

Prominent
Oct 4, 2021
Might want to grab a magnifying glass and inspect the general area from where the smoke came from. You sure you got the connections hooked up the right way? A reversed connection or perhaps the wrong connection can cause a short.

I think thats the problem that I connected it the wrong way because there is a sticker on it and it and it wasnt visible.
But I have a question: What will happen if the laptop is turned on and you put the cable the right way in? Is it bad or not?