Laptop new ddr2 not working except once until reboot

thewanderer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2004
I have a Gateway MX3230 laptop which should take DDR2 PC2-4200 memory. It came with 256 MB of ram which is in a single slot, but now when I tried to upgrade it to a 512 MB stick of PNY PC2-5300 which is backwards compatible with PC2-4200 and PC2-3200 it doesn't post or boot up. One time after a while I tried to start it and it just started up and ran like there was no problems. Then I played around with it for a while and shut it off but when I tried to start it again later it won't boot or post. I have tried to take the memory out and re "seat" it but it hasn't helped. Putting the old 256MB stick back in boots the computer immediately.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next? Is the memory stick faulty, or just not making proper contact? Should I try to exchange the memory?
Laptop: Gateway MX3230
new memory: PNY N512X530PT

Mondoman

Splendid
Unfortunately, DDR2 memory module technology is not mature, so there can be incompatibilities between computers and the modules. I would try to return your module for a refund; if no refund is available, return for a replacement. If the replacement module also doesn't work, it's a problem with that part number, so try a different brand.
In general with notebook computers, I try to buy from a company that guarantees the module will work with my notebook model (they usually have a "memory configurator" or similar on their website to allow you to find compatible modules).

TRENDING THREADS