May 19, 2021
Hello everyone,

2nd time posting here, I am very desperate. Been looking for a solution for a while now.

I was given an old ES1-521-48YQ Acer laptop not so long ago. I bought a new SSD and new RAM for it. I have had quite some challenge with it. After a few attempts at installing the SSD and new RAM, I was succesful. The whole rig was functionning perfectly until I was trying to close the laptop, and screw everything back into place. When I pressing, either with tighting the screws or pressing with a finger in the top left corner, the laptop suddenly shut down. I suspected a short circuit. So I openned the laptop again and tried to see where metal could touch metal... unsuccesfully. After a few attemps of trying to solve this, the power just wouldnt come on anymore. Pressing the power button wouldnt start the laptop again. It could've been connection issues, because it happened a few times that the connectors were loose or not proprely connected when I tried to mount everything back together. Let me go on...

At this point, im not getting power whatsoever. I tried unplugging, replugging battery and power supply without succes. I tried reinstalling RAM, reinstalling different RAM sticks. I have trouble shooted the problem. I used a multimeter to diagnoser the power supply. After research, the mobo is getting the expected 19,25V supply on all of its 4 pins, but the orange power light of the MOBO would never come on. At this point, I knew the powersupply, the power jack, the power cables, and the power connectors on the MOBO were all fine. The MOBO seemed the problem since it wasn't able to handle the power properly, since the light wouldn't come on, and the laptop wouldn't power on either with or without the battery attached.

So I bought a new MOBO from Aliexpress. After reinstalling the heatsink and everything on the NEW MOBO, I was expecting my problem to be solved, but even with the new MOBO, I am facing the exact same issue. The laptop doesn't power on, and the powerlight on the MOBO isn't turning on, even when nothing else is plugged into the mobo. I still checked... reading 19,25 V on each of the pins on the MOBO power connectors.

I am wondering, wth am I doing wrong? Did they send me a defective MOBO or did I kill it too? I took measure against electrostatic discharge, so at this point I am quite baffled, and honestly quite shocked and discouraged too. Seems I have tried everything I could.

Could my new RAM have killed the 2 motherboards? I had 2 old ram sticks, and 1 new one I bought for this upgrade. I tried a mix of different sticks. At one point, the laptop was running perfect with the old 4 GB ram and the new 8 GB ram.

OLD RAM:
KINGSTON: 2GB 1RX16 PC3L - 12800
KINGSTON: 4GB 1Rx8 PC3L - 12800

NEW RAM:
TIMETEC: 8 GB DDR3L 1600MHz 2rx8 1.35V

My MOBO has DDR3 1.5V 4.3R dual slots.

You guys have any suggestions that might solve the issue? At this point I am considering just starting from scratch. Thank you very in advance.

May 19, 2021
@rgd1101
No, of course not. I make sure the laptop is turned off before I make any modification. That would be an obvious thing that could have fried the MOBO. But i recall there was a weird instance where I would connect the powerswitch to the MOBO and it would turn on the latop, without pressing the power button...