Question Laptop Not Booting in Normal Mode after GPU Driver Update?

roshansbd08

Commendable
Jun 29, 2018
Hello sir. I am having trouble with my laptop and I am pretty sure it's GPU. I have a Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop with Service Tag: JPC6FW1 . Firstly, I didn't actually know what the problem was and I kept on trying different methods. Later, I was able to reinstall the OS and got the computer running.

After like 12-13 hours of the computer running and working fine, I downloaded and run GTA V, and going to the Graphics Settings, I found it was using the Intel HD 4000 GPU. Then, I went to Device Manager and saw that the AMD Radeon HD 8730M wasn't updated.

So I updated the GPU and right after that the laptop froze. I left it so for 12 minutes, and it was still frozen showing the same time as 12 mins ago. Then, I forced power off and restart. After the windows logo, it started freezing again. After that, I tried going to Safe Mode and uninstalling the drivers, still didn't fix.

What I need to know is if I moved or messed the GPU on motherboard? So, if I'd know where exactly is the GPU on the board, I would see if there's anything messed up there. I need the AMD GPU as Intel's isn't good enough as AMD on gaming side. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

InvalidError

Titan
The GPU should be easy to find: it is the only other high-power chip in a laptop, which means it'll have a substantial heatsink attached, possibly shared with the CPU.

If you don't see anything that might explain the failure, you may need to boot into safe mode and disable the GPU to fix your crash issue.

roshansbd08

Commendable
Jun 29, 2018
The GPU should be easy to find: it is the only other high-power chip in a laptop, which means it'll have a substantial heatsink attached, possibly shared with the CPU.

If you don't see anything that might explain the failure, you may need to boot into safe mode and disable the GPU to fix your crash issue.
I did fix the crash issue by disabling the driver. But, I wanted to make use of the GPU. I did find it on the motherboard as well, but not sure what to do there. I guess I will have to stick with the Intel HD 4000 until I buy a new laptop. Thank.

roshansbd08

Commendable
Jun 29, 2018
Hey there. I thought disabling the driver will fully solve the issue but I found that the GPU was auto enabled and updated which freezed my laptop again. I did fix it by going to Safe Mode and disabling it again, but isn't there a way to fully disable it and stop it from auto enabling and updating?

InvalidError

Titan
I have no idea why disconnecting non-essential peripheral would mysteriously cause the GPU to quit working properly besides possible damage while poking around the laptop. Maybe a solder joint was already on the verge of failure and that gave it the final shove.

but isn't there a way to fully disable it and stop it from auto enabling and updating?
Instead of uninstalling drivers, click "disable device" in Device Manager's properties so Windows knows not to bother searching, installing or loading drivers for it.

roshansbd08

Commendable
Jun 29, 2018
I have no idea why disconnecting non-essential peripheral would mysteriously cause the GPU to quit working properly besides possible damage while poking around the laptop. Maybe a solder joint was already on the verge of failure and that gave it the final shove.

Instead of uninstalling drivers, click "disable device" in Device Manager's properties so Windows knows not to bother searching, installing or loading drivers for it.
Yes I had disabled it from the device manager as well. But all of a sudden, the computer froze and while I went to Safe Mode, it was enabled and updated. Anyway, I have now disabled auto updating of drivers from "ControlPanel/System and Security/System/Advanced system settings/ Hardware(tab)/ Device Installation Settings". Now I will see for few days if the driver auto enables or not and update you. Thanks for your help though.

roshansbd08

Commendable
Jun 29, 2018
Yes I had disabled it from the device manager as well. But all of a sudden, the computer froze and while I went to Safe Mode, it was enabled and updated. Anyway, I have now disabled auto updating of drivers from "ControlPanel/System and Security/System/Advanced system settings/ Hardware(tab)/ Device Installation Settings". Now I will see for few days if the driver auto enables or not and update you. Thanks for your help though.
The driver keeps auto-updating even when disabled. It happens in like every 1-2 days, and I have to go into SafeMode and uninstall and disable the device from Device Manager again. Can't the driver be disabled once and for all?