[SOLVED] Laptop not detecting hard drive but works as external

May 9, 2020
Hello,
I have an Acer Aspire E1-572 laptop. With a 1TB ssd hard drive.
Recently the hard drive stopped working. The system is not recognising it's even there.
I created a Windows 10 boot disk on usb and tried to use that to repair but it wouldn't enter recovery mode. Couldn't boot even from this usb after changing bios startup settings.
I have removed the hard drive and I bought a usb to sata adapter.
When i plug this in via usb to another pc, the drive is recognised and I can see the files and folders on it etc. SO i guess the hard drive is actually ok.
Does this mean the hard drive cable is broken? Is that a huge job to replace?
Some advice would be great.
Thanks
Ben

Solution
The system is not recognising it's even there.

What, even bios cannot see it?

Does this mean the hard drive cable is broken?

You can tell us whether it is, with putting another drive in there.
Whether it'd be a cheap 80 gb 5400-rpm, ur reserve one, or whatever, you are going to decide.

I wonder what 'd happen if u move ur data to somewhere else, format the ssd, and put it back to see if things get better when putting a windows installation disk with the drive together. Much time & much thing to do I admit.

As u can see, there IS things u can do. What u and ur wallet will decide? U say.
The system is not recognising it's even there.

What, even bios cannot see it?

Does this mean the hard drive cable is broken?

You can tell us whether it is, with putting another drive in there.
Whether it'd be a cheap 80 gb 5400-rpm, ur reserve one, or whatever, you are going to decide.

I wonder what 'd happen if u move ur data to somewhere else, format the ssd, and put it back to see if things get better when putting a windows installation disk with the drive together. Much time & much thing to do I admit.

As u can see, there IS things u can do. What u and ur wallet will decide? U say.

Solution
May 9, 2020
Thanks for your reply. When I first entered the bios the hard drive was recognised but could not be accessed. I removed it and reinserted it in the slot. After doing this, the bios did not then recognise the drive.
I think the drive is fine but the hard drive cable from the motherboard may be broken/faulty. I just want to know if this is likely and also is it a big job to get to and replace this cable. I'm ok at removing a few screws and removing the hard drive, but haven't done much else in terms of fixing laptops and hardware.
I will try using the ssd as an external drive and see if it will boot. I will update later. Thanks again.