Laptop not detecting wireless networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

trh2086

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
After reinstalling Windows XP SP3 it seems my laptop can't detect any wireless networks. I know of at least 3 around my home including mine. The balloon notification pops up and gives me the "One or more wireless networks are in range..." message but nothing shows up when I go to check.

I need help. I've done everything I know to do.

Tim

Solution
Hey everyone! Sorry I never replied back to this. I've been without steady internet access for a long time!

Anyway, I found out what the issue was. One of the updates had disabled the Event Log service. After enabling this service all networks were listed and I was able to manually add networks. So, if you had the same issue I did, then try enabling this service.

Start menu > Run > type services.msc > find Event Log > Right click > Properties > set start-up type to Automatic > Restart PC

There seem to be some laptops which will put that message up even if the wireless chip is switched off. In case yours is one such, have you checked that it's enabled and ready? It may also be that your laptop needs updated drivers for the wireless adapter - check in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager for yellow marks beside anything the in the Network Adapter section.

trh2086

Distinguished
May 21, 2010

Switch is on and all drivers are as up-to-date as possible.

You say you know there are three networks - is the View Wireless Networks form in XP actually showing them and offering you the chance to connect? If it doesn't, I suspect they simply aren't there. What make is your laptop? Could it be one that has wireless software of its own which would prefer to overarch the XP WZC?[/#000ff]

trh2086

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
I know the networks are there because they were showing just before I reinstalled XP and one of the networks is my own and it isn't even showing. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L355-S7915.

In that case, add your own network manually into Preferred Networks in the left hand pane of your empty View Wireless Networks window. If that doesn't end up automatically connecting, the adapter has a serious problem.[/#000ff]

Marinik

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

I have a Toshiba a100 with atheros addapter which would prefer to overarch the XP, and I have the same problem, can't find any wireless networks, switched on, drivers up to date, don't know if it has worked before. previous owner said it worked, I'm running freshly instaled xp sp3, pls help me.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Atheros wireless driver problems are popping up all over the place at the moment so if turning off its own utility and relying on Windows WZC Service doesn't fix it, try Update Driver in Device Manager and check that you have the right one. My favourite for being problematic is the 507.

If it won't turn off any other way, go Start then Run and type in msconfig then hit Enter. Untick it from the list under the StartUp tab, click Apply and click the Services tab, tick Hide all Microsoft and untick the Atheros entry, click Apply and OK your way out.

After the forced restart, tick "Don't show this message again" and then check in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services that the Wireless Zero Configuration is running and set to Automatic.

Marinik

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

Thank you, your advice was very helpful, I can see w networks now... but I'm having problems to connect, i hope to sort them out, if not I'll be comming back with details.

Marinik

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I still can't see any networks. Please help me. I'm begining to believe the hardware is faulty. the laptop also has a problem with the soun card and I am now using a USB sound card. Both adapters being on the motherboard leads me to believe that the failure of the sound card may have affected the wireless adapter also. Please give me some posible solutions

Marinik

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
yeah it's turned on.... never actualy worked, meaning that in november it detected the network but didn't connect, and since than I never tried again, I think I'll have to buy an usb adapter:(

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It could be a driver issue but it's a rare wireless adapter that WIndows 7 can't find a driver for. Are you sure the device is actually turned on?

If it is, you need to go into Control Panel>System>Device Manager and scroll to Network Adapters. The wireless will be in there so right click and go to Properties and then click the Details tab. Scroll to HardwareIDs and take a note of the four characters which follow VEN for Vendor and also the four following DEV for Device.

Go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and input those characters in the two relevant boxes and follow the trail to the right driver. When you find the list of the Vendor's drivers, they aren't ino order so use your browser's Find facility to track the Device details. With luck you'll have an executable file but some will be a zipped folder.

trh2086

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Hey everyone! Sorry I never replied back to this. I've been without steady internet access for a long time!

Anyway, I found out what the issue was. One of the updates had disabled the Event Log service. After enabling this service all networks were listed and I was able to manually add networks. So, if you had the same issue I did, then try enabling this service.

Start menu > Run > type services.msc > find Event Log > Right click > Properties > set start-up type to Automatic > Restart PC

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.