Question Laptop not obeying power settings

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
BANNED
Oct 15, 2022
In my advanced power settings on windows 10, I have the option to tell the laptop what to do at certain power levels. Theres low power and critical power levels. I have everything set to "Do Nothing". The power level will get down to 1%, then a few minutes later the laptop will completely shut down. This shouldn't happen because I had critical battery action set to Do Nothing. Why is it not obeying the setting?

How do you plan to run the laptop with no battery? Do nothing means the battery will run until it disconnects. That's a power cut.

If there is no BIOS setting, then it's hard coded to preserve the battery life during the warranty period. Even if you could convince the laptop manufacturer to write a BIOS that would allow you to do this, there is still a hardware circuit inside the battery which forcibly disconnects power at 2.5v per cell. At this voltage, damage occurs to the cells already, degrading their lifespan, but it is still safe to charge them back up.

If you remove the safety circuit from the battery pack then drain it too far, it will cause a fire when you attempt to recharge it. So yes, while there may be rare occasions where you might be willing to turn your rechargeable battery pack into a disposable one, the manufacturer doesn't want to risk fires and liability in case the voltage detection in their charger fails.

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
BANNED
Oct 15, 2022
How do you plan to run the laptop with no battery? Do nothing means the battery will run until it disconnects. That's a power cut.

If there is no BIOS setting, then it's hard coded to preserve the battery life during the warranty period. Even if you could convince the laptop manufacturer to write a BIOS that would allow you to do this, there is still a hardware circuit inside the battery which forcibly disconnects power at 2.5v per cell. At this voltage, damage occurs to the cells already, degrading their lifespan, but it is still safe to charge them back up.

If you remove the safety circuit from the battery pack then drain it too far, it will cause a fire when you attempt to recharge it. So yes, while there may be rare occasions where you might be willing to turn your rechargeable battery pack into a disposable one, the manufacturer doesn't want to risk fires and liability in case the voltage detection in their charger fails.
Ok. Thats interesting. I just didnt want it to do anything at all. Like no power cut, no shut down, nothing.... like.... nothing at all. I set it to "Do Nothing", not "Do nothing unless theres a BIOS blah blah"