Question Laptop not posting

Jun 26, 2019
Hi

The laptop powers on hdd turns on for a sec then winds down they keyboard lights up and the CPU fan kicks in after a minute or two but screen is off.

So this is the 3rd time this problem occurred

First time I couldn't find a fix as I couldn't diagnos the issue

I was away for 90 days when i came back I took it to a technician who fixed it in like 2 minutes he said it was a bad ram stick which wasn't really the case because I reseated the “bad” ram stick and it worked.

Laop worked fine for about 9 months then it happened again. I took out the hdd reseated the ram and it worked now 6 months later the issue came up again this time

I took out the hdd tried it with both sticks on different positions even tried another ram stick but no results what am I missing here should I power cycle or something and if so how ?

UPDATE: well I fixed it by removing the battery draining the motherboard out of energy then removing the cmos battery then restarting without the HDD

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your laptop? An SKU will help us two fold. You might want to check back and see if the power plug is a two pin or a three pin variant from the power brick. When you mention having to remove and reseat the ram to get the system to boot up again, leads me to think you're suffering from a grounding issue.

Jun 26, 2019
Make and model of your laptop? An SKU will help us two fold. You might want to check back and see if the power plug is a two pin or a three pin variant from the power brick. When you mention having to remove and reseat the ram to get the system to boot up again, leads me to think you're suffering from a grounding issue.

It's an msi ge72 2QD 235 that's the exact model and the power plug (going into the power brick ) is a 3 pin one . I don't know if this could have anything to do with this but I live in a really humid area