[SOLVED] Laptop not powering on after SSD and HDD replace

Aug 23, 2020
Hello! So today I replaced my HDD and installed a new SSD on my Asus VivoBook Pro 15 N580VD and everything went fine. After I've screwed the carcass back on, I tried powering on the laptop and nothing happened, not even a light or something. I thought that maybe I haven't connected the battery accordingly, but after I unscrewed every screw off the carcass, I tried powering on the laptop and it worked, it truned on, everything was fine, the BIOS detected the SSD and HDD. Even installed the OS. What I've noticed since then is that sometimes the ventilators are too loud, when they shouldn't be and maybe sounding a little strange-ish, and this wouldn't happen before. So now I'm using the same laptop without any screws in the carcass, and I'm asking you what could cause this strange problem. Thanks in advance!

Solution
My thought is that you may have overtightened some of the screws when you put it all together again.

Or some screw went in wrong and created a short.

Reassemble the Vivobook just a couple of screws at a time. Do not overtighten the screws.

Test between each pair of screws.

Observe by sight and feel how the screws go in. They should go in easily and straight. No need to force into place. Initially leave them all just a little loose at first to allow movement for alignment.

Once all are in place then make a final round to gently snug them down.

I would expect the sound to be noisier without screws in place to secure things. Especially with ventilators (fans) and the HDD.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that you may have overtightened some of the screws when you put it all together again.

Or some screw went in wrong and created a short.

Reassemble the Vivobook just a couple of screws at a time. Do not overtighten the screws.

Test between each pair of screws.

Observe by sight and feel how the screws go in. They should go in easily and straight. No need to force into place. Initially leave them all just a little loose at first to allow movement for alignment.

Once all are in place then make a final round to gently snug them down.

I would expect the sound to be noisier without screws in place to secure things. Especially with ventilators (fans) and the HDD.

Solution