Laptop not recognizing SSD now located in the optical bay?

macrod15

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
So I have an asus 2014 notebook laptop. I bought a caddy that fit the model of my laptop. The cd drive slid right out and the caddy with my ssd slide right in, very easy installation. The ssd I have is a crucial m500 240gb

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ8RM1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't get my laptop to recognize my optical drive is now a ssd. I troubleshooted for hours, messed in the bios and command prompt, can't figure out what to do. Of course I asked geek squad and they couldn't give me a reason, go figure.

I'm just beyond frustration at this point and just want to transfer my os to my ssd but can't get my computer to identify my ssd. It's not showing up in disk management b/c it thinks that port is still a cd drive so I don't know what to do or where to look anymore.

Any help would be MUCH MUCH appreciated!!

Solution
My suggestion - unplug the current HDD and only have the SSD connected - install Windows, then put the HDD back in the loop.

It may even benefit you to have the SSD installed in the hard drive bay and the hard drive installed in the old CDROM bay - it would be easier to remove the HDD to save on battery if needed.
My suggestion - unplug the current HDD and only have the SSD connected - install Windows, then put the HDD back in the loop.

It may even benefit you to have the SSD installed in the hard drive bay and the hard drive installed in the old CDROM bay - it would be easier to remove the HDD to save on battery if needed.

Solution

macrod15

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
After doing the above task my computer was able to recognize the new hard drive and now all i have to do is cone it and switch the boot options. Thanks for the help, lifesaver!!

Dec 11, 2018
I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) - 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7.

I have a EVO 850 SSD as main drive and a 500 GB HDD in "Optical Drive", But it was taking too much battery/ too much noise. I put a new Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA III SSD in optical drive. For some reason it was not working. After reading the post above, I realized that my caddy is not SATA III compatible.

So I clicked on the link provided    amazon.com/gp/product/B004FM4UGE

It looked exactly like my previous caddy but something inside, a chip or something is new. Make sure seller is "HIGHFINE".

NOTE : After installing new Caddy in optical drive with SSD Sata III, I started computer and was able to see SSD in DISK UTILITY. I initialized/ formatted it. BUT drive was showing in some weird small size. I restarted Laptop and it came on FINE.

Dec 11, 2018
I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) - 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7.

I have a EVO 850 SSD as main drive and a 500 GB HDD in "Optical Drive", But it was taking too much battery/ too much noise. I put a new Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA III SSD in optical drive. For some reason it was not working. After reading the post above, I realized that my caddy is not SATA III compatible.

So I clicked on the link provided    amazon.com/gp/product/B004FM4UGE

It looked exactly like my previous caddy but something inside, a chip or something is new. Make sure seller is "HIGHFINE".

NOTE : After installing new Caddy in optical drive with SSD Sata III, I started computer and was able to see SSD in DISK UTILITY. I initialized/ formatted it. BUT drive was showing in some weird small size. I restarted Laptop and it came on FINE.