Laptop not seeing AP

Hi

I have a D-Link DSL-604+ ADSL ruter and a D-Link DWL-1000AP+. I have a
laptop for my daughter that sees the Roter OK, but I am unable to
communicate with the AP on the laptop. It sees the signal OK, but does not
connect.

Any suggestion?

Tx
KW

"Knuz" <kwanvik@broadpark.no> wrote in

> I have a D-Link DSL-604+ ADSL ruter and a D-Link DWL-1000AP+. I
> have a laptop for my daughter that sees the Roter OK, but I am
> unable to communicate with the AP on the laptop. It sees the
> signal OK, but does not connect.

I can think of a few possiblities:

1. Wrong WEP key. Disable all security (encryption, MAC access
control) until you have the isue sorted. Re-enable them later when
you're happy things are working OK

2. MAC Access Control disallowing the connection. See above - disable
this on the router's Configuration | Wireless Configuration screen.

3. What wireless card do you have in the laptop?

If it's a D-Link card (or a number of others...) there is a known
conflict between the Air/AirPlus utility and WinXP's wireless
facilities. Use one or the other, don't have both active or neither
will work...

If you have two wireless Access Points (the DSL-604+ and DWL-1000AP+)
and are using the same SSID, the wireless facilities of WinXP SP1
cannot distinguish between multiple APs with the same SSID. SP2 is
supposed to be better, but I'm not using it yet.

In this case, you would be better using the utility of the wireless
card to setup and manage the connection. Suggest you disable the
Windows Wireless Zero Configuration service either altogether - shout
out if you want info on how to do this - or by unchecking 'Allow
Windows to manage my wireless network' (or similar words).

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Make sure that the IP address of the laptop is within the subnet of main
router. Check the SSID and see if it matches that of the AP. Also make
sure that you haven't locked yourself out of the AP via MAC filtering. If
you've enabled MAC filtering, be sure to enter the MAC address of the
laptop so that it will be allowed to communicate with the AP. Finally, if
you've enabled WEP or WPA, doublecheck to make sure that the passphrase
is EXACTLY the same on both the laptop and the AP.

"Knuz" <kwanvik@broadpark.no> wrote in

> Hi
>
> I have a D-Link DSL-604+ ADSL ruter and a D-Link DWL-1000AP+. I have a
> laptop for my daughter that sees the Roter OK, but I am unable to
> communicate with the AP on the laptop. It sees the signal OK, but does
> not connect.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Tx
> KW

Start off by disabling all security measures such as WEP or WPA. Disable
MAC address filtering and enable the broadcasting of the SSID. Once you get
this working, you can then proceed to start locking things down again.

Jeff