Question Laptop Not Turning on after screen replacement

Aug 11, 2022
Hello.

I have an ASUS TP412UA-IH31T with an 8th gen I3 and 16G of soldered in RAM.
Wife broke the screen so I ordered a replacement.
I removed the old screen assembly and connected the new screen, albeit all while the battery was still connected.
There were noises and no smoke.
Anyway, the laptop will not turn on now. :( I tried disconnecting all of the screen cables and using an external monitor, and also disconnected battery and plugged into the wall. I do see the battery light come on. Even when the battery is disconnected. :O However, the power light refuses to turn on as does the laptop.

Any and all help is definitely appreciated.
TIA

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Wife broke the screen
Question here is, why did you assume that only the screen was broken? Since with physical damage to the laptop, there are high chances that something else got damaged as well. Either that, or you damaged the laptop during screen replacement. Which is actually quite easy to do, since wires/cables inside the laptop are small and thin.

Anyway, the laptop will not turn on now. :( I tried disconnecting all of the screen cables and using an external monitor, and also disconnected battery and plugged into the wall. I do see the battery light come on. Even when the battery is disconnected. :O However, the power light refuses to turn on as does the laptop.
Sounds like dead MoBo. Or the very least, the power delivery part of it.

albeit all while the battery was still connected.
Not a good idea to keep laptop powered during maintenance. You could've short circuited the PCB during screen switch.

Any and all help is definitely appreciated.
If you have the know-how, replace the MoBo. If not, haul it to PC repair shop and pay for diagnostics + fix.

Aug 11, 2022
Question here is, why did you assume that only the screen was broken? Since with physical damage to the laptop, there are high chances that something else got damaged as well. Either that, or you damaged the laptop during screen replacement. Which is actually quite easy to do, since wires/cables inside the laptop are small and thin.

Sounds like dead MoBo. Or the very least, the power delivery part of it.

Not a good idea to keep laptop powered during maintenance. You could've short circuited the PCB during screen switch.

If you have the know-how, replace the MoBo. If not, haul it to PC repair shop and pay for diagnostics + fix.
Thank you Aeacus.

She continued using the laptop for many months after breaking the screen.
To be more precise she broke the hinge of the screen that caused a crack in the screen itself.

So how do I figure out which component went awry? If I spend money and time to replace the MoBo and the laptop still doesn't work. I would be even more sad, than I am now. As time is in short supply for me these days.

Another thing I am curious about is that. Normally when something is shorted you get the pop sound and the smell of burning plastic and such. There was no such thing during my swap.

Lastly, I actually took the laptop to a repair shop and told them what had happened, they did not want to touch it. LOL To put it in perspective it cost me below $500 so its not an expensive unit. But even so I am without a laptop now. :(

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
So how do I figure out which component went awry?
Only way would be with 2nd, compatible system, where you can test out each and every component individually, to see if they work or not. But since you have a laptop, this will be an ordeal. Far easier and faster is to buy new laptop.

Normally when something is shorted you get the pop sound and the smell of burning plastic and such. There was no such thing during my swap.
"Pop" and burning is catastrophic failure and worst that can happen. Though, it doesn't need to be catastrophic failure to fry the electronics. ESD does the trick just fine as well.

PC hardware operates at 3.3V, 5V and 12V. If you feed 12V to a component that operates at 5V, you'll fry it. Now, electrostatic discharge that you can put out from your fingertip is up to 35.000V. While you even don't feel the 3500V discharge. <- That is more than enough + then some, to fry electronics within a laptop/PC.
So, ESD is likely source as well, especially since you kept the battery connected which holds a live charge.

A bit further reading about ESD and PCs: https://www.ifixit.com/News/63909/what-is-esd

Reactions: rgireyev