[SOLVED] Laptop not turning on while the internal display adapters are plugged off the motherboard

roshansbd08

Commendable
Jun 29, 2018
I have a Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. My laptop's main (internal) display is broken and I don't want to replace it as it's 6 years old. I would rather buy a new one later. So, I am using the monitor display of my old computer via HDMI cable on my laptop to use it as my main display. But, I want to totally get rid of the internal display including the upper cover of laptop, and use only the half part with main computer and keyboard. When I opened my laptop and tried unplugging everything on the other half, which included display portion and a WLAN card with antenna attached to the top of display, the laptop didn't turn on with the 'bip-bip' sound that it makes if something isn't right. After that, I tried unplugging one cable only at a time one by one and found that if I unplug the display part, it doesn't work but unplugging the WLAN part let's the laptop on with no Wi-Fi. Actually, I don't need a WiFi either as I use my laptop as a desktop on a desk with LAN cable (Rj-45 jack) attached.
So, I need help with my laptop. Shall I just cut off the display cable keeping the switch attached to the motherboard or will it kill my laptop? I mean, it won't actually kill but might it not allow me to use external display if the internal display is disrupted somehow?

Edit: I tried unplugging and plugging again the display cable, and now, my laptop won't start. I only see a boot command thing on my HDMI connected display monitor (after a second of pressing power button) which lasts for like 0.1 seconds and then black screen appears with the hardware error sound of laptop. I think I messed the display cable while doing plug unplug... A quick help would've been appreciated. I can't use my laptop at the moment. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
Good for you, you managed to get the internal display error to go away by disconnecting something else display-related and make it quit tripping the internal display error.

roshansbd08

Commendable
Jun 29, 2018
I googled and found out the beeping sound's meaning. It was beeping 8 times which meant the LCD error. That sures that I messed up the display wire I guess. But it beeps 8 times again when I disconnect the display cable.

roshansbd08

Commendable
Jun 29, 2018
Sounds like the BIOS expects the internal display to always be present at boot. Maye there is a key you can press to skip the warning/error message. On desktop motherboards, you are usually prompted to either press F1 to ignore/continue or whatever the BIOS setup key is to enter setup.
I tried pressing every Function key, 1 to 12, none seem to affect in any way. It just beeps and beeps. Nothing else. The other display does lights up on black screen. I thought I could use the external one by simply unplugging the internal, but things got messed up now.

roshansbd08

Commendable
Jun 29, 2018
Check the connectors for debris, bent or broken pins and hope there is something you can fix there. Otherwise, you may be out of luck without a replacement LCD.
Damn it! I don't want to replace it. I want to use my external display. I am pretty sure the wire is broken or bend somewhere. Will putting the wires together fix it? Or maybe that's the thing of luck... I only wanted to get rid of it, but now it's forcing me to change the damn display to be able to use the other display 😴

roshansbd08

Commendable
Jun 29, 2018
If you have a known broken wire, it'll depend on whether that is the only thing wrong there.

Thing to keep in mind is that LCD panels typically use LVDS signaling and if the broken wire is one of the LVDS pairs, you may need to shorten all wires to match for it to work again.
I am not sure about the broken wire though. But, will replacing the LVDS cable work?

roshansbd08

Commendable
Jun 29, 2018
Only if it is the only new thing that is broken besides whatever was already broken when you could still get the laptop to boot.
Hey there. The problem is now fixed. I unplugged every wires of the display including the cameras and then looked for a cut. I actually found one but I didn't have to attach those. I just taped it all together and reconnected all wires, then it was able to boot. In short, problem is fixed. Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it. You can now close this thread.