[SOLVED] Laptop older HP4530b fails during windows install

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
Hi all. Have tricky one which my guess is Bios corrupt or PS caps ect on MB? or hardware failure out of bios?
Splash screen comes up everytime and PS brick i use is ok as i use on other laptops sharing same big barrel plug.
F9, i changed boot order to boot from usb and i put a Win 10 stick in with empty good HD installed and it loads the little blue logo and round dots turning install. 10-30 secs later screen freezes and HD activity stops dead and then eventually computer shuts off completely dead, no lights. I also used a win 7 install stick and same. I have also had it kick back to bios screen? and even a BSOD with code for hardware failure? so diff outcomes but always no go for install. Major hardware failure Cpu? GPU" bios chip?
Bios is latest 2018 and i have played around in bios with default settings just in case it was all jumbled . Legacy is on and UEFI off, tried turning that on but all weird , so went back to legacy.
Also i ticked a box for Bios upgrade and it said it would upgrade from usb stick next restart but that didnt work either. i have never seen the upgrade screen ever- cant flash bios in case bad?
Am i losing power on the board and its locking up? or is bios chip bad ? or something else? pulled board all looks normal and sockets/connectors all there and turns on every time , just cant install windows or get much past bios. Do my own electrical repair so can swap out parts if needed and start testing inrush/ caps/secondary bucks ect from PS socket forwards although not expert on laptps.
I also used the diagnostics menu and tried all diff tests but after a few mins of testing it also killed the laptop dead too?? earlier it got through the easy ones like memory. i swapped the mem with same from other good computer so cant be them.
Thanks for any assistance

Solution
Thanks, i will try 4GB of 1600mhz just for S&G's. The manual only list 1333Mhz so dont know why it would fail? Why would crucial only suggest higher speed but to get more rev or do they know something? Nothing to lose and i dont have any 1600, so handy to have. getting some DDR3L so good for newer laptops too and backwards compat for older laptops that use DDR3.
Will reply back if successful
Thanks
Found the problem . Red Hot shorted chipset/Northbridge than i need to put a ice brick on top to keep laptop from shutting down! haha
Everything goes through this chip effectively inc CPU, memory ect so windows wont install and computer shuts soon after i take away ice. I could reball another chip but just got a cheap M/B and will...

popatim

Titan
If it can't get thru it's own diagnostics then it's either the PS brick not delivering enough power, Bad battery (tried running without it?), or mainboard issues.
before you toss itout, have you tried testing the ram or swapping it with known ones?

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
If it can't get thru it's own diagnostics then it's either the PS brick not delivering enough power, Bad battery (tried running without it?), or mainboard issues.
before you toss itout, have you tried testing the ram or swapping it with known ones?
Yes, used same ram sticks from another hp laptop and that one works perfectly. also the first test ok'ed the memory . also i have removed battery and double checked the PS by power on another laptop again and running to windows and all stable. its not anyway, as i did all this from the battery power only and same result.
However, can i be using wrong ram? the diag test ok it , but does that mean its ok for THIS laptop. is diag standard test for all HP's . i might need to check but it is ddr3 unbuff and no beeps. usually you get a long beep on desktops if mem is unseated ect. but will check the specs. always check the obvious first!
got this laptop for free from tech and came with the memory so might be broken anyway but definitely not throwing before going over board totally as could be easy repair or not.
Also laptop wont even go the bios if mem is not there.
Funny thing too is i pushed f9 for boot options and it gave me diagnostics?? although before each button worked correctly.
if i hold button down i can go to right place. Thats why i though bios iffy?

1. So you tried removing battery and using only power cable then performn windows install? with right windowns installation (look sticker behind laptop what it was shipped with)

2. Check external usb ports if those are bad / shorted

3. What is the exact model of laptop? these are shipped with win7 and 8., look from the sticker. Then follow this guide and do recovery usb on another computer and recover bios
Remember it needs to be the EXACT model.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkadkPyGjY4

4. If that wont work remove main battery and power cable then disassembly and do cmos reset (coin battery off for 15min then put back) , test with multimeter if its lower than 3volts then replace.
its not GPU chip fault this model has integrated intel graphics inside cpu

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
Spent some time on this one trying all the obvious stuff like swapping memory sockets and diff same ddr3 memory and also used diff windows install sticks with 10 & 7 and even the DVD install too in case usb controllers sth/north bridge ect bad.
Already removed battery and shorted terminals for 10 secs and put in fresh battery . would ten mins battery out make a diff if i already shorted the terminals + & -?
When attempt to install windows, windows starts the install but after 30 secs, screen freezes and HD stops OR it kicks back to bios OR laptop dies totally dead OR BSOD with 00000174 code for hard ware failure?.
So 4 diff failures?? and done this about 10 times. Legacy is on in the bios and i have even reset bios and reset settings boxes. in case bios settings wrong, although been through them dozens of times. I ticked the box for bios flash but it didnt do anything on next start as it said it WOULD do with usb in with bios file ready to flash. So CANT find the flash screen to refresh bios and eliminate that from troubleshooting. bios is from 2018 F65 on HP site, so someone updated this as its a 2011 laptop!
Also tried win B and V ans B by itself with power button and nothing. waiting 30 secs. Nothing, just dead screen.
Spoke to some repair guys that fix MB's and he suggested it could be the memory controller or shorted pins as when the memory gets loaded down with install, it cuts out and laptop shuts down or BSOD. I would love to just reflash the bios to eliminate that , but cant find a way into flash screen, so maybe a bad bios or controller parts? voltages/ caps weak for secondary voltages on bucks ect feeding into board?
PS, ram and HD all totally ok and known working, so it has to be MB in some way as installing windows is never this hard. F9 to choose usb and install!!! hmm
might have to pull board and get schematic and start checking parts or even shorted local section as i odnt think theres anything left to try now.
I even tried a original XP CD, but still jams after a short time. so my guess bios bad/chip or controllers for memory of dvd/usb bad and freeze? I got this broken and wear on the trackpad shows its had a lot of use , so burnt out or weak parts ? but screen is great and it always powers on so i want to try to save it hopefully as it has a full size keyboard which i like.
Any ideas appreciated
Thanks
Tim.

Did you follow the guide on the video exactly? Win +B key keep pressing them without power cable connected then while holding the Keys connect the power cable, keep holding b And Windows key and press power button. Keep holding win b for another 10sec. Recovery usb needs To be on usb 2.0 port.

If you want To clean ram slots use isoprophyl alchohol 90 percent + with softa tootbrush and clean the slots.

Try live cd operating system like tails, you can install it To usb, check if everything works In that os so that leaves the hdd/hdd cable as the issue

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
Hi, yes i tried a old Ubuntu DVD only runs off the disc and that loaded through but then froze same.
I pushed power button to drain off all power each time then held down win +B and connected power cable and pushed power button and waited a while. only caps lock flashed, fan went full speed and screen blank. Bios file on usb 2.0 stick in 2.0 slot
Also did same for win + V and B alone. Draining off computer between tries and obviously no battery installed while doing this! haha
Also ticked update system bios in bios menu and "accept" it on next screen and it said it would update on next start up. done this a few time and it just keeps going back to bios?? Never seen a flash screen yet for this laptop.
I have already inspected the memory slots, but will spray then again more and test each finger with the multimeter to see if any shorted , but they all look ok as already carefully looked at them. Another board repair place said it could be the controller as i been trying everything i can to install any windows by usb and dvd/cd and still kicks back to bios or shuts down computer??. also change from ahci to ide in bios but that didnt help. Also tried efi than legacy. My other 6730b laptop just installed windows ok easily but that bios doesant even have a update bios option?? and still has 2011 bios but it works fine so not concerned.
Only this one the 4530s that cant access bios update or install windows ,
So maybe thinking weak memory area or voltages or the bios is bad in some way? Will have to get schematic and start tracing if nothing else works. Unique failure? never had a computer fail when installing windows unless power socket is faulty , but you can keep battery in to keep the power flowing if the DC in cuts out on and off. anyway thats not the problem here unless theres not enough power getting from the socket to the board and into smaller voltages through the buck converters and under load, cutting out and even shut down when windows loads? Thats my best guess. or Bios is failing somehow but that guy thought if bios is showing ok and menus, it probably ok. I thinking memory or bios or general power issues. But why wont the bios update screen show or try to update or win+ B ect work?? could it be the cpu under load? although the bios screen is perfectly stable and starts every time
A real Challenge!! but i will find the problem as hate throw away a good laptop with a full keyboard. 10 years old.
Will work on memory area now , then switch to the MB as thats all thats left i think.

when things like this happen i usually just disassembly the motherboard out of the case and remove everything exept ram + cpu. Then connect external screen and installation usb. that way i can rule out all the other components causing it during installation. u checked the motherboard for liquid damage? Took off heatsink and add new thermal paste and remove cpu from scoket and put back (if its not soldered)?

If you have ch341a programmer you can try reflash bios. might be bad me region too causing this. Look for ch341a with soic clip.

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
when things like this happen i usually just disassembly the motherboard out of the case and remove everything exept ram + cpu. Then connect external screen and installation usb. that way i can rule out all the other components causing it during installation. u checked the motherboard for liquid damage? Took off heatsink and add new thermal paste and remove cpu from scoket and put back (if its not soldered)?

If you have ch341a programmer you can try reflash bios. might be bad me region too causing this. Look for ch341a with soic clip.
I already taken the board out a couple of times and cleaned the memory sockets and reseated the greased the CPU and used a mag glass to carefully examine board for anything obvious. Of course if anything was burned out, it wouldnt be working and it is , it just wont carry through with unstall. However i tried something a little diff
I charged up the battery and only ran it off that eliminating a bad socket or voltage drop from there to where battery meets then into power rails. What happened was it NOW installs to the install now screen and the partitions for HD delete.format ect. So i went no further and just let it sit there to see what would happen and a BSOD came up with code 1E, then i reset and changed the mem socket to other and then same again except error 7F?? both seem to indicate mem related cach and MS even mentioned MB failure. possible mem section on MB failure or undervoltage ect or chip failure perhaps ?
So under battery power i get further install a little everytime than only plugged on brick alone? Strange??
7f is listed as
This issue is caused by stack exhaustion that occurs when the computer sends and receives Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) or Server Message Block (SMB) data. Stack exhaustion occurs because the thread on which the TCP and SMB data is received and sent does not have sufficient stack space to complete the call.
1E is listed as
This issue occurs because of an NTFS file system memory leak issue. Specifically, when an application opens a file that has an oplock on it for modification in a transaction, NTFS will break the oplock and will leak nonpaged pool memory. This causes excessive memory usage and memory allocation failures.

I dont have any flashing tools and live in town where no one is board repairer any better than me, so will have to work this one out or scrap board which i dont want.

Will probable take out keyboard so i can monitor voltages from input to board when put under load and go from there. maybe simple but computer does crash so something isnt right somewhere. turn off and blue screens and bios kick back when installing?? Maybe just haunted?
Will have to take this apart again as cant get to flash bios screen it seems , so nothing left to troubleshoot.
If you have the 4530s, theres a little box in bios you tick (Bios update) and its says will flash next restart with usb inserted. does that work on yours as it isnt working on mine?
Tim.

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
These are what i am using
M471B5773DH0-CH9 SAMSUNG 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333MHZ PC3-10600 204-PIN CL9 Single
cant seem to upload a pic of them here but i have 3 and just swapped them from other working laptop, so they are working correctly if not compatible with 4530s, not sure

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
well it should work but worth a try, Crucial suggests 1600mhz ram for the model : https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/probook-4530s
Laptops can be more picky when it comes to ram, if you can borrow and test, or just buy 1600mhz so-dimm used 2x4gb / 2x2gb
Thanks, i will try 4GB of 1600mhz just for S&G's. The manual only list 1333Mhz so dont know why it would fail? Why would crucial only suggest higher speed but to get more rev or do they know something? Nothing to lose and i dont have any 1600, so handy to have. getting some DDR3L so good for newer laptops too and backwards compat for older laptops that use DDR3.
Thanks

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
Thanks
Found the problem . Red Hot shorted chipset/Northbridge than i need to put a ice brick on top to keep laptop from shutting down! haha
Everything goes through this chip effectively inc CPU, memory ect so windows wont install and computer shuts soon after i take away ice. I could reball another chip but just got a cheap M/B and will keep the old for spares. A bonus, the replacement M/b has a USB 3 as well as 2's and its working great.

Tim..

Solution