Laptop only switches on with Mains connected

Jul 3, 2019
Hi, we are having a problem with a new laptop at work which is something we have never encountered.

The laptops power button to switch on only works if we have the laptop connected to the mains lead.
Once we remove the mains lead the laptop stays switched on and battery shows full charge and can be used normally.

So the issue isn't a faulty battery because it would switch off if we had to remove the mains lead.

What do you think can be the issue/fault?

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model laptop?

Hardware specs and OS?

Overall, if the laptop will only turn on if connected to the mains (i.e., plugged into a wall outlet) then the laptop is likely to be defective.

My thought is that the laptop "sees" the battery as dead (even though the battery may be good" and simply will not start until some source of power is detected.

And that only happens when the laptop is plugged into the mains.

Jul 3, 2019
Make and model laptop?

Hardware specs and OS?

Overall, if the laptop will only turn on if connected to the mains (i.e., plugged into a wall outlet) then the laptop is likely to be defective.

My thought is that the laptop "sees" the battery as dead (even though the battery may be good" and simply will not start until some source of power is detected.

And that only happens when the laptop is plugged into the mains.

Thanks for your reply.

Model and specs:
Lenovo Ideapad 320S-14IKB

Intel Core i5-7200U @ 2.50Ghz
8GB DDR4 Ram
256GB SSD
Windows 10

We are thinking that it might be defective but checking to see if we can do something before sending laptop back to manufacturer.

Ralston18

Titan
Google "lenovo laptop battery firmware update" or similar words/phrasing.

Especially any results from Lenovo's website.

There may be some firmware update that could resolve the problem.

At least compare the version numbers and see what else you can find and learn before you call the manufacturer.

Support desk's first question is likely to be "Is it plugged in?"