[SOLVED] Laptop overheating after repasting

fyodor0137

Honorable
Aug 29, 2014
I have a Dell N5110 Core i5-2450m with NVIDIA GT525m running Windows 10. Its 10 years old and has never been repasted earlier. This is my first attempt at repasting anything and I repasted it today using Noctua NT-H1 .

1st attempt -
I applied a pea sized paste and packed the laptop and idle temps were around 55C for processor and 57C for graphics and max was around 89C and 97C respectively. Since the temps were higher than expected, I searched for ways to apply thermal paste again and saw a youtube video which said that laptop processor/graphics needs to be covered completely instead of a pea-sized like in desktops with air-cooler.

2nd attempt -
I opened the laptop and saw that processor was only half-covered and pea-sized method hadn't worked so I carefully added some paste and spread it completely. Then when I restarted the temps dropped to 48C on both processor and graphics for around 5 minutes.

BUT within next 10 minutes, the temps were back to 70s then 80s and then the lappy just shutdown due to overheating. Now, the idle temps are again hovering around 60C and with 3 Chrome tabs open the temp is around 65-70C. What is going wrong?

Last edited:

fyodor0137

Honorable
Aug 29, 2014
Do you have your heatsink completely attached to the motherboard? It might not be completely secured, so it isn't disappating as much heat.

Yup, you are right, I guess. While removing the heatsink, one of the screws wasn't unscrewing so I had to bend the metal joint (I know I shouldn't have done that!!!) holding the screw a little to repaste it. That maybe keeping it from contact. I can't even straighten it now since that screw won't open as its grooves are gone due to many attempts. What can I do now?