Laptop overheats and shuts down while playing graphic games when charging.

johnson.hwang1008

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
My Inspiron 5559 laptop allows me to play games like on steam or websites while charging without any problems, but any games with higher graphic requirements will make my laptop shut down in 2ish minutes. As soon as I launch Fortnite while charging, my laptop fan will go crazy and I can just place my hand near the air flow and feel how hot it is from 5 inches away. Then after playing for maybe 1-2 minutes in Fortnite my laptop will shut off without warning. The same goes for League. BUT when I unplug my laptop, it will run Fortnite without overheating. and there is lag that I deal with. I made sure there weren't any dust piling inside of the fan or the motherboard. I've noticed that the laptop fps increases while charging and there isn't lag at all. Can anyone help me with my problem so I can play Fortnite or League without stopping to charge up to full battery every 40 minutes? It sucks that I play 40 minutes and wait another 2 hours until the next time I can play. I've tried about everything like updates with windows and AMD graphics software and I am up for about any suggestions.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Well, that laptop is several years old now.

firstly, have you tried disconnecting the battery & then using it just off of AC power? There's the possibility that the battery could be malfunctioning and need to be replaced. When you checked on the dust, did you just use some compressed air and blew into the vents or did you actually open up the laptop? Also, the thermal paste could be worn out and may need to be replaced. I would also recommend using the laptop on a cooling pad while you're gaming.

johnson.hwang1008

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
@Toshibitsu I had to open the case and blew the fan out with compressed air while holding the fan steady. When I take off the battery it just makes the laptop go so hot that the game lags so much I can't even see in front of my character. I tried using fans but last time it just delayed the shut down and I am going to get a new cooling pad, maybe making it myself. I have not checked whether I needed to reapply thermal paste, but I was thinking about that and maybe adding cool metal thermal paste instead of regular thermal paste. The only concern is that I know only how to reapply thermal paste on a desktop CPU, and I don't know how to reapply for my specific model. It would make sense because, like as you said before, the model is a several years old.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
It should not get as hot as you described. We've eliminated the battery as the culprit(at least it's not the primary cause of the issue). So that either leaves the motherboard or the AC adapter. If one/both of those are not operating properly, it can cause the system to heat up as you stated. If you continue using it the way it is, there's the possibility that the board could just die. If you start to smell anything weird coming from the laptop and it's still on.. shut it off immediately.
I'd say if you can acquire another AC adapter, try that next. Otherwise I'd check to see if there's still a warranty on it and have it serviced.

johnson.hwang1008

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
Okay thanks for the tip.I don't smell anything wrong about it, it has runs smoothly while charging and without charging. The only time it would go "supernova" is when I play games with graphical details. I believe it is still has a warranty on it so I will look into that. I asked one of my smarter friends and he told me to simply get a new laptop because he didn't know why it was like this and it would save me less work.