[SOLVED] Laptop PCH Temperature

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
hey guys so i have question

what is max pch temp?

and is 72/75c MAX pch temp good? (watching at HWINFO)

the cpu temp max at 67c and gpu max at 65c

thanks

Solution
I don't have the laptop in hand to tell you how much height is available inside once it is closed. You could add a thermal pad and try to connect it to whatever is above it, but that might not help all that much. If you wanted you could maybe get a copper shim, just a thin sheet of copper, and stick it on there, just make sure it doesn't short anything out. None of that is really necessary.

Your temperatures are fine.

60C is about perfect for an SSD. The flash is actually most efficient at room temperatures above ambient. The real producer of the heat is the storage control chip on there though, but 60C is perfectly fine for a chip.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
PCH is referring to the chipset in common terms (Platform Controller Hub I believe). The chip that interfaces between the CPU and the rest of the general Motherboard. Some things, Like GPUs, and certain storage devices are connected directly to the CPU. Most other devices like USB, network, storage, etc are connected to the PCH.

Inside a laptop, anything below 90C is probably okay.

With a specific chipset name we could actually look up its maximum temperatures.

Picked a recent chipset at random, rated up to 110C. Typical CPU or GPU will start throttling well before that to keep temperatures down.

Reactions: Matoo69

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
PCH is referring to the chipset in common terms (Platform Controller Hub I believe). The chip that interfaces between the CPU and the rest of the general Motherboard. Some things, Like GPUs, and certain storage devices are connected directly to the CPU. Most other devices like USB, network, storage, etc are connected to the PCH.

Inside a laptop, anything below 90C is probably okay.

With a specific chipset name we could actually look up its maximum temperatures.

Picked a recent chipset at random, rated up to 110C. Typical CPU or GPU will start throttling well before that to keep temperatures down.

hey so now i was playing game for like 2h and i check on HWINFO the proc max temp was 67c max gpu temp was 65c
but now max temp for PCH was 79c is this hot?

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
No, that is still fairly normal. The CPU and GPU will have the bulk of the cooling on them, the PCH is a very low output part, so it gets less attention.

On some systems the PCH isn't even cooled.

thanks man, i have nitro 5 2020 model an515-55-76xc with i7 10759h and rtx 2060 90w... will post uodate i am playing now for about 1h i post update soon :)

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
No, that is still fairly normal. The CPU and GPU will have the bulk of the cooling on them, the PCH is a very low output part, so it gets less attention.

On some systems the PCH isn't even cooled.

UPDATE: after little longer then 1h (1h and 33min) cpu temp max out at 66c and gpu max out at 65c PCH temp max out at 74c is this good?normal?

as i said ( i have nitro 5 2020 model an515-55-76xc with i7 10750h and rtx 2060 ) what i use (balanced mode on nitrosense,balanced mode on poweroption so ALL SET TO BALANCE,no coolbost no max fans,all on auto and balance ass from the start)

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Anything below 90C is well within operating specifications. Under very heavy loads you can expect the CPU to possibly reach 90+. Gaming typically won't achieve that. RTX 2060 has a larger surface area, so usually will stay cooler at the top end.

What you are seeing as 66c and 65c is just telling you that the CPU and GPU share a heatsink, so will stay close to each other in temperature when one isn't disproportionately loaded.

As I suspected, PCH is not cooled:

https://i0.wp.com/laptopmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/internals-5.jpg?resize=680,479&ssl=1

It is the exposed chip below the left fan, to the right of the wifi module.

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Anything below 90C is well within operating specifications. Under very heavy loads you can expect the CPU to possibly reach 90+. Gaming typically won't achieve that. RTX 2060 has a larger surface area, so usually will stay cooler at the top end.

What you are seeing as 66c and 65c is just telling you that the CPU and GPU share a heatsink, so will stay close to each other in temperature when one isn't disproportionately loaded.

As I suspected, PCH is not cooled:

https://i0.wp.com/laptopmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/internals-5.jpg?resize=680,479&ssl=1

It is the exposed chip below the left fan, to the right of the wifi module.

Ok thanks man :)

how can i cool pch? And do i need to?
+ so 75/79c is good? No need to worry about? for pch temp i mean? Thanks

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
If there is room you could add a small heatsink, but it isn't necessary. They left it bare because it isn't going to overheat.

Update: after 1:30h of playing strandeed deep and 40min of warzone max temp for cpu was 68c for gpu 65c and for pch 75c

all good? no need to worry or?

btw: is 60c for NVME SSD WDC hot? or in general what are good temps for nvme ssd? and what is consider little hot? thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't have the laptop in hand to tell you how much height is available inside once it is closed. You could add a thermal pad and try to connect it to whatever is above it, but that might not help all that much. If you wanted you could maybe get a copper shim, just a thin sheet of copper, and stick it on there, just make sure it doesn't short anything out. None of that is really necessary.

60C is about perfect for an SSD. The flash is actually most efficient at room temperatures above ambient. The real producer of the heat is the storage control chip on there though, but 60C is perfectly fine for a chip.

Solution

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017

ok thanks :)