AndrewHasAName

Honorable
Nov 25, 2015
I just bought this Asus Zephyrus G15 GA503 with an RTX 3070 and a Ryzen 9 5900HS and it's a wonderful laptop, there really is so much to love about it. However, I've noticed while playing Minecraft I am getting significantly less frames than I should be getting with these specs. I was getting better performance on my old i5 R9 290 desktop than I am with this laptop. Naturally I checked in task manager to see what the GPU was doing and lo and behold, it was doing essentially nothing running at only 38%, not nearly high enough for anything really. I don't know why either; I've plugged in the charging brick to deliver the most power possible and it's not helping at all. Does anyone know what might be going on and what I could do to fix it?

Solution
I will give that a shot, however, what I don't understand is that if the game is running poorly why would the GPU usage increase to compensate?

It could also be poor optimization. I know some games of mine get worse FPS than newer, more demanding games. For example, Battlefield 4 only gets 70-80 FPS while Battlefield 5 gets 90-100 FPS. Meanwhile even older games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 gets 170ish FPS.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
What's the framerate you are getting right now? What's your render distance setting? Any visual or shader mods?

In my experience, there's little difference between 60fps and 180fps for minecraft. Though I guess that's playstyle-dependent.

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
Don't pay attention to GPU Utilization. Less demanding games won't fully utilize the GPU. It may be Optimus related. I have an Asus TUF Dash F15 FX516PR with the i7 11375h and RTX 3070 85w. I get quite an increase in FPS by enabling dGPU mode and using an external monitor. It's the laptops version of a Mux Switch.

AndrewHasAName

Honorable
Nov 25, 2015
What's the framerate you are getting right now? What's your render distance setting? Any visual or shader mods?

In my experience, there's little difference between 60fps and 180fps for minecraft. Though I guess that's playstyle-dependent.

I'm getting between 30 and 50 fps on Minecraft when I'm playing at essentially max settings with the render distance at 48 chunks. It just seems like with a 3070 I should be getting significantly better performance than that.

AndrewHasAName

Honorable
Nov 25, 2015
Don't pay attention to GPU Utilization. Less demanding games won't fully utilize the GPU. It may be Optimus related. I have an Asus TUF Dash F15 FX516PR with the i7 11375h and RTX 3070 85w. I get quite an increase in FPS by enabling dGPU mode and using an external monitor. It's the laptops version of a Mux Switch.

I will give that a shot, however, what I don't understand is that if the game is running poorly why would the GPU usage increase to compensate?

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021

It could also be poor optimization. I know some games of mine get worse FPS than newer, more demanding games. For example, Battlefield 4 only gets 70-80 FPS while Battlefield 5 gets 90-100 FPS. Meanwhile even older games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 gets 170ish FPS.

Solution
Nov 11, 2021
Take a look at a few moments. How clean it is inside, because dust on the CPU and on the fan can really interfere with performance. Also check if it gets too hot, if it does, you probably need to replace the fan.