Question Laptop plastic back cover won't click/plug at two places

zach_

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Yesterday I upgraded the laptop's RAM. Before doing that, a damaged screw had to be removed by drilling.
When i tried (twice) to put the plastic back cover on, it clicks everywhere except in two places near the laptop's
integrated touchpad mouse. The drill spot is not nearby to these unclicked spots, and the cover has clicked in all other
areas including at the area of the drilling. I've tried putting a lot of pressure but it didn't work and i have tried pressing it from top to bottom and from bottom to top.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model laptop?

Use a magnifying glass and bright light to examine the the spots that will not click. Compare to spots that do click - any differences or signs of damage? Some minute bit of debris (from the drilled out screw) perhaps getting in the way.

Are you able to try putting the back cover on but start doing so with the spots that will not now click being first?

You might also try loosening all of the screws involved including the replacement screw. If too tight the screws may be causing a bit of warp and/or not allowing enough freedom for the cover and case to align themselves properly. Touchpad could also be involved.

Look carefully and be very gentle.

zach_

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Make and model laptop?

Use a magnifying glass and bright light to examine the the spots that will not click. Compare to spots that do click - any differences or signs of damage? Some minute bit of debris (from the drilled out screw) perhaps getting in the way.

Are you able to try putting the back cover on but start doing so with the spots that will not now click being first?

You might also try loosening all of the screws involved including the replacement screw. If too tight the screws may be causing a bit of warp and/or not allowing enough freedom for the cover and case to align themselves properly. Touchpad could also be involved.

Look carefully and be very gentle.

The laptop model is HP 15-da1005nv.

The place where the back cover won't click will click if only that part is clicked.

All the screws are loose since the incident (the damaged screw was screwed too tightly and that damaged it)

The drill was larger than the screw (it drilled part of the plastic). There cannot be a replacement screw because of that bigger-sized drill. The old one remains in the same place.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Other than the back cover not reinstalling, the laptop is working correct?

This:

"The old one remains in the same place". The "old one" what?

The screw was drilled out - correct? How much bigger than the screw was the drill bit? What sort of drill was used?

How was the laptop secured during the drilling?

Are you able to take two or three photos of the screw or hole that remains? Along with the back cover etc. in general.

Just to show more about the problem(s).

Post the images here using imgur (www.imgur.com).