Question Laptop Port Smoking

Mr Uddin

Reputable
Oct 30, 2016
Hi, I was looking for some advice for my laptop which has stopped working, which I'd been using until suddenly the laptops power supply would started flashing green instead of staying a solid green, and when plugged into the laptop, the charging port would immediately start smoking, at one point plugging the laptop in, there was a visible electric shock too, could this be a faulty charger or the laptop itself?

I think it could be either.
I would put a voltmeter on the charger to check it.
If I didn't have a voltmeter....
I would try a different charger as there is no sense in risking another computer.
....and something may already be damaged with the charging circuit of the PC.

Ralston18

Titan
Electrical short:

3 possible locations: source wall outlet for power supply, laptop's power supply, or within the laptop.

Laptop's power supply most likely candidate.

You will need someone with a multimeter and the necessary skills and knowledge to troubleshoot and determine the specific culprit.

Do not use outlet, laptop's power supply, or laptop without further testing.

onespeedbiker

Respectable
Apr 13, 2019
Make sure the voltage is correct. If it's higher than what the laptop requires....there is your problem.
It's my understanding power is not pushed into a computer, rather the computer will pull what it needs. In other words the voltage and amperage ratings are the max available to the computer, not an amount being forced into the PC.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS