Question Laptop power consumption decreases when the battery is not 100% while charging.

Anuj jena

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2014
I am facing a major issue with my ASUS TUF F15, 2022 - i7 12700H, RTX 3060 Laptop.

Details below:

THE LAPTOP IS PLUGGED IN AND CHARGING WHEN I TESTED THIS.

While playing any game, the CPU consumes 45-50 Watts constant, and GPU Power consumption is at 115 Watts, while the game ran at 200 FPS and the battery was at 100% Capacity.
The moment the battery dropped to 99% while the laptop was charging and gaming, which caused the CPU Power consumption to be dropped to 25 Watts, and the laptop took a significant performance hit.
Tested this in Warzone as well, the moment the battery drops to 99% the CPU power drops to 25 Watt, and the laptop takes a performance hit.

I used an energy meter to monitor the laptop power consumption, plugged into the 240 Watt charger, while gaming when the laptop is at 100% charge the total power consumption is 205 Watts.
After 15 minutes of gaming the battery drops to 99%, and the power consumption gets locked at 160 Watts thus causing significant performance loss.

Why does the laptop consume less power when the battery charge is anything less than 100%?

From a technical point of view, the laptop should consume more power to provide power to the components and charge the battery.

THE LAPTOP IS PLUGGED IN AND CHARGING IN ALL THE ABOVE CASES.

How do I stop the power limit to be reduced when the battery drops to 99%?
ASUS support has been of no use till this point.

Lutfij

Titan
Try and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. As for your power consumption, see if you can set the power profiles to performance/high for both your battery and when plugged in. Another thing to note, what OS are you working with?

Anuj jena

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2014
Try and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. As for your power consumption, see if you can set the power profiles to performance/high for both your battery and when plugged in. Another thing to note, what OS are you working with?
Yes, I have updated the BIOS to the latest version.
The laptop is on Turbo mode, tried with Manual mode as well, same results.

I also tested by setting the min CPU state to 100% while on battery, still the same result.

OS- Win 11 Home.

For some reason the moment the battery drops to 99% the power draw of the laptop gets limited to 160 Watts instead of 210 Watts, which results in the performance drop.

I tested a Lenovo Legion 5, RTX 3060, 5800H model, the power consumption increases when the battery is below 100% as it charges the battery and provides power to run game at the same time.

Anuj jena

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2014

BTW, is it possible for me to flash the BIOS of
ROG Zephyrus M16 (2022) GU603ZM on my TUF F 15 (2022) 507ZM ?

They have the exact same specifications when it comes to hardware.