Laptop problem with hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolDude01

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
Edit 3 17th August 2015 - I've had my laptop back for like a week now and thought I would share the most recent update. Haven't tested it much but the issue was as a few mentioned a bad repair job. Had another cable replaced, a new motherboard, a new screen and RAM has been replaced too. From what I tested so far everything is working fine again for the moment. It seems the issue has started by bad cable but all the other problems was caused by poor repair job.

Edit 2, 27th July 2015 - I just heard back from the repair store and he has informed me the Motherboard has been burnt out which explains the overheating at the bottom and the smoke that came out of the fan. Will also need to get another new cable as it got burnt out too at the same time.

Edit - So I took the laptop back to the repair shop again after a call to say it's not fixed. Was given an estimate of Monday for it to be ready but it's possible it can take longer (depending what is causing the problem). Will update when I receive it again and share the news for others. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, feel free to reply your thoughts for anyone else that may come across the same problem.

Original story
Hello I'm new here

I'm having an issue with my laptop and I hope someone can help me. I have a 17" Samsung, model number NP550P7C. It also runs on Windows 7.

The issue is a few weeks ago I put it into hibernate when I was finished using it. The next time I switched it on, it had a bit of a problem starting up but eventually it did. After some time later the laptop randomly shut down on me. Since then I haven't been able to boot it up again. A few times here and there the computer would start up showing restoring but when that ends, the laptop shuts down again. I have tested the following:

1) The monitor
2) Power cable with and without the battery
3) Just the battery
4) Holding power button for 30 seconds without battery and power cable
5) Checked my HDD to ensure it was ok

But nothing worked so I took it to a repair shop. The man at the desk said it was just a bad wiring so fixed it and cleaned it out. Got the laptop back yesterday and it was working fine but I noticed a lot of heat from under the laptop. Thought it was very strange for it to heat that much so soon. Just once I noticed a little smoke come out of the laptop. I assumed it was just a little dust coming out of the fan (had a burning smell). And now today the laptop is not starting up anymore just like it's been doing before I took it to the repair shop.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be or know any fixes I could try? Would this just be an overheated problem? The laptop powers on just fine, just nothing showing up on screen. On the front of my laptop it has 4 lights, but only 3 light up. The 4th is for the HDD which blinks and refuses to come on. But it seemed my HDD was working fine when it managed to work.

It sounds like either the hdd got corrupted somehow which would be why the hdd light is blinking or connection to the screen maybe faulty somehow.

Another thing could be that the power supply or the battery is faulty and needs to be replaced. Most battery only last about 6 months before it starts to wear off.

CoolDude01

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015

Thanks for the reply. The thing is tho, I was using the laptop for a short while a couple times after receiving it back and there was no issue with the hdd. Apart from the heat at the bottom of the laptop and the smoke/dust that came out of the fan area, everything else was working fine. I suppose my battery does need replacing anyway as the laptop is 2 years old and it doesn't have great life anymore but I have tested it without using the battery and it didn't make any difference. Have also tried a spare power supply in work last week which worked the same as my own.

I assumed when the hdd would have an error, we get a blue screen with some text on it. I never received that which makes it all so puzzling. There's a new cable connected to the screen so that shouldn't be an issue. Have tried connecting to a monitor too using a vga cable which was no better.

Forgot to mention, when I tried to turn it on this morning, no lights shown up. Not even the power button lit up. So plugged the power cable in and it also failed to light up (the light was on the power box which means the power supply was working). Something inside the laptop must have been preventing it from lighting up. Took about 30 minutes of rest for the lights to randomly start up when I tried pressing again.

CoolDude01

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015

I've updated the post as I found out now what the issue is. It was the Motherboard that got burned out from the overheating and the smoke. The cable that I got replaced also burnt out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.