[SOLVED] Laptop PSU causing shutdown issues when gaming?

Markkent91

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Hi all,

I have been having an issue playing Rome 2 Total War where it crashes and shuts down my laptop without reboot just as the loading screen of a custom battle/ campaign completes. Sometimes I manage to get to te deployment phase but the moment I zoom in / move and rotate the camera around, my laptop immediently shuts down. Most of the time it occurs after loading screen completes.

My temps are fine never go over 60c and this shut down occurs even after I have switched on my laptop for the first time during the day. I have tried various graphics settings ( very high, medium, low, low unit sizes, VRAM on / Off etc) but still shuts off regardless.

I have had this issues for many months now and let it go a few months ago and played Napoleon and Warhammer Total war (without any shutdown issues) but really want to play rome 2 again so im back trying to solve this issues.

I ran Memtest to see if there were issues with memory but memtest results showed nothing wrong.

No heating issues so my gut feeling it is sometimes to do with the PSU. I ran event viewer and have attached shots of my system log. It logs my computer shutdown unexpectedly at 21:55 ( which is the time Rome 2 shutdown) and after that states there is a kernel Pnp issue "The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\GBT0005\1".

At 21:56, the logs states multiple warnings with kernal processing power "The speed of processor 5 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report" as an example

Is my cpu / GPU being throttled by a failing PSU? It can't get the power it needs? Seems strange this shutdown seems to only happen with Rome 2.

My laptop is a Gigabyte P55 with I7-600HQ, DDR4 16gb, Nvidia Geforce 970gtx so it's fairly old but still pretty decent considering it's about 5 years old I have seen on other threads on various forums that the 970gtx seems quite a problematic model.

Specs of my Power are
Model ADP-180MB H
Input 100-240V 2.34A 50=60HZ
Output 19.5V 9.23A

I tried reducing the power saver settings from High performance to balanced but no change. I always have it on high performance and sometimes other games suffer with FPS.

Solution
It's a laptop......... how can the PSU cause shutdown since it has juice (battery)?
If the PSU is the problem.... let say the PSU is not able to keep with the demand of power....let say your recommended PSU should be 210W but its 120 or 160... it will start malfunction (The PSU itself) and it might burn (die).... because the components work on overtime to keep with the demand...
You have battery your Laptop should not power off if it has battery due to PSU problem.
It's a laptop......... how can the PSU cause shutdown since it has juice (battery)?
If the PSU is the problem.... let say the PSU is not able to keep with the demand of power....let say your recommended PSU should be 210W but its 120 or 160... it will start malfunction (The PSU itself) and it might burn (die).... because the components work on overtime to keep with the demand...
You have battery your Laptop should not power off if it has battery due to PSU problem.

Solution

Markkent91

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

I have taken the battery out of the laptop as sometimes it was causing lag and drop in FPS with warhammer and noticed whenever FPS dropped suddenly, the power settings were erratically switching between high performance and balanced. Therefore I took out the battery so Laptop was running purely on psu which fixed the issue with that but I’ve always had issues with Rome 2.

I have taken the battery out of the laptop as sometimes it was causing lag and drop in FPS with warhammer and noticed whenever FPS dropped suddenly, the power settings were erratically switching between high performance and balanced. Therefore I took out the battery so Laptop was running purely on psu which fixed the issue with that but I’ve always had issues with Rome 2.
You should mention that in the beginning, if the PSU is really old (how old is it) it can do that....definitely.

It’s as as old as the laptop. 4 -5 years. Just find it odd how this shutting down only seems to effect this particular game.

It's not odd at all... just some software is really design to take every piece of hardware that is available...(very often not in very optimized and proper way).

Also you should't run your laptop without battery.... i know its handling it (for now), but its not design to do so...
There is a high risk for the components.

Markkent91

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
It's not odd at all... just some software is really design to take every piece of hardware that is available...(very often not in very optimized and proper way).

Also you should't run your laptop without battery.... i know its handling it (for now), but its not design to do so...
There is a high risk for the components.

Thanks. Would you suggest I purchase a new psu? I’m going to run it again with the battery in just to see if there are changes since I took it out.

TRENDING THREADS